Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I used to be *that* guy

I used to be *that* guy

Googled an old email address this morning and stumbled upon my banned Antionline account from when I was 15. I'd just started coding then. Fascinated by the world of hackers, I tried every trick in the book to make myself look "kewl" over here. I even wrote a tutorial called C++ torn apart, probably a day or two after writing my first C++ program. Here's a little gem from that tutorial:

C++ is basically the C# Programming language + some very powerful features + object oriented approach.

Reading through those old posts from the 15-year-old me made me smile. I decided to come back to Antionline to apologise for plagiarising (here, here, and kind of over here), for being unthankful, and for being a bit of a nob in general.

The helpful feedback that I received on a piece of code that I did actually write makes me wish I'd behaved better and remained on this excellent forum.

Well, I'm pleased to say that both my coding skills and my manners have improved over the years. I'll try to finish that C++ tutorial now

"TheSpider"

My manners are still horrible, but I've recently done the same...welcome back.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

HYBR|D
    Welcome.

Hopefully you don't wander down a similar path.

I've also researched old handles from my past, and i to have gotten the giggles about some of the stuff the "Younger" me has posted.

the internet is truly 1 big time machine.

Haha, see these are the forums I completely forget exist. It's nice to see people still joining (or coming back?). Regardless, no one cares if you've been a n00b in the past. Thats what the Intarwebz are for. You mature, and make a new handle. nbd. Hope to see you around in the future.

thank you, it's good to be back

HYBR|D
    So what have you been doing over the years?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    This would work if I could remember my email address/s :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

If I relate with hackers I hope i will learn right..?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by didaneous View Post
    If I relate with hackers I hope i will learn right..?
    sorry to dig up an old one, but the post just caught my eye
    do people REALLY still think the H word will automatically give them the 'edge' ?
    when will people learn that it takes time and energy, all to be expended by yourself

a 'hacker' in any realistic sense will have done just that, and will not wish to pass too much out in easy bite sized chunks, as they seem to see it as a rite of passage, in that if you can pass the tests to get through to them then it will ALL make sense, and there is no room in that philosophy to help others apart from those who are on the same road

just realised been 10 years now
    and still dropping in here :P

don't like the layout, but mainly because I DID like the old setup, bugs and all
    but still getting steamed because of frivoulous posts such as this making me burn up electrons that have done me no harm

and yes, I am having a few small cognacs to help keep me warm
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi Foxy,

I guess that we are both getting old?

These days there aren't any hackers, except maybe The Spec? the rest are just cybercriminals and their attendants.

The cyberworld has changed so much from when we first joined AO?

Cheers,

Johnno