Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Networking & AO ?

HYBR|D

Social Networking & AO ?

Greetings.

I am curious to know about the current plans regarding Social Networking groups ie ( Facebook @ google+ )

I know there is an official AntiOnline facebook page, but i'm more curious as to when we will get an official Google+ page?

Also why are there no active content being published to these social groups? The owners (Quinst) made it clear when they aquired all that stuff from Jupitermedia that they were going to push forward and put big effort into marketing AntiOnline on all possible mediums. + do a heap of general site updating. So far we have seen 0 positive things from the new owner, and all previous suggestions have been flat out ignored.

also can we be lucky to have facebook connect enabled?

the current version of vbulletin in the 3.*.* series has the FB connect pre-inbuilt in the update package, so maybe it would be an incentive to upgrade the vbulletin software so we can utilise some of these new features.

also the owners may want to update the frontpage cms, (VbAdvanced) as the currently installed version is very outdated and has more security holes then a piece of swiss cheese.

the owners obviously have an owned vbulletin license, so the update package will not cost, neither would the updated version of VB-Advance, so there really isn't any cons, only Pro's as the site would be slightly more secure

and we the memberbase would get new site functions to playwith.

that is all.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; July 5th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

I don't think they have plans...

site should be sold to Spec, at a minimum...his ideas are decent...this used to be a fun place, where people started irc chats and discussed what they were "playing with"...it's now another defunct forum, and well, that makes me sad.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Here is the response from Internet.com:
    We're in the planning stage of upgrading all forums to vBulletin v4. When that's done, I expect we'll have additional social networking options available. I'll let forum staff know when upgrades will be happening once we've scheduled them.

I'm not sure Google+ integration should be a top priority yet, given that it just launched last week and isn't nearly as ubiquitous as more established services like Facebook and Twitter.

As for plans for social networking presence, that's an editorial topic and I'll leave it for Dan to answer.

- Heidi

HYBR|D
    Interesting.... very very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Here is the response from Internet.com:
    We're in the planning stage of upgrading all forums to vBulletin v4. When that's done, I expect we'll have additional social networking options available. I'll let forum staff know when upgrades will be happening once we've scheduled them.

I'm not sure Google+ integration should be a top priority yet, given that it just launched last week and isn't nearly as ubiquitous as more established services like Facebook and Twitter.

As for plans for social networking presence, that's an editorial topic and I'll leave it for Dan to answer.

- Heidi
    This should be read "we're not doing anything with AntiOnline aside from our typical upgrades.".

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by bludgeon View Post
    This should be read "we're not doing anything with AntiOnline aside from our typical upgrades.".
    Upgrades @ new features is the only thing they can do, Content is what us members need to bring to the table.

We have lax rules here, "Well to a point ) So there is nothing stopping any registered member from logging into there user-account and posting an interesting topic.

hell i remember mark_boyle used to post stories about he's drunken weekends in Addicts. Had nothing to do with comp.sec etc but they were still interesting to read.

Bottom line is that the topic doesn't need to be highly technical etc, infact i feel it's time to do another "What Wallpaper You Got" topic again in GCC

if there's content the masses will come.

Agreed, but the delivery of the content is just as important. Lol, I forgot about that guy.

I remember those threads too; It was perfectly fine for a guy to post how he'd tossed his keys into the river drunk as piss yet if someone posted high they were a terrible human being. Bastards lol.

Now, I've gotten quite good at pushing buttons to make replies happen, so if we can get some decent threads, I can probably annoy enough people to make them keep posting.

I will point out one thing:

Remember the "My OS is better than YOUR OS" threads? I started so many of those, and for the most part, no matter what you thought about my opinions on it, and how much complaining I had to listen to by people saying that it was "Time to move on" and "These threads are getting old and boring" and blah blah blah, they DID get massive replies.

I could totally go for a thread like that. Windows Vista was a bad joke that no one laughed at except us Elitist Bastards from Unix / Linux / BSD Unix, and then Windows 7 came out and they finally did something better than Windows 2000, Xenix, and DOS.

Remember all those threads about how Secure you could make Windows XP if you tried? Come on those were classic! The same 3 idiots always posted in them saying I was a big meanie head and that I didn't know what I was talking about, and then one night, I get home so Intoxicated that Charlie Sheen would have quit before me, and I almost laughed my testicles off, because someone had replied that basically, they had like 3 weeks of uptime on their Windows XP machine, so that means it's stable. I think I ended up posting a screen shot of my desktop, with over 200 days, and they basically said it was off topic.

Oh and don't get me started on that "tl;dr" ****..... I got like 20 replies in ONE thread simply by pointing out a few facts and stuff, and then SOMEONE replied with how it was a super duper long post they didn't wanna read

There's new versions of Windows, Windows Server, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and a couple new versions of Linux that have been popping up, and we could totally get the baseball bats and the pony out for another bashing.

And hey, those people who used to go on and on about Windows being so great, and how they were more mature than I was, well, they're all either banned, or, the "mature one" basically said he was taking his ball and going home. Yea, that'll show me lol. Jack ass.

So who's up for some of that? Windows 7 is a great OS compared to the rest of what that company has done, but people are still sing Vista too, and hey, that's the biggest screw up they've done since Windows ME. Reminds me of the good old days.

And Mac OS X Lion, or whatever predatory pussy Apple is running with now, is coming on fast. Sure we could whack a few threads about that together.

Slackware 13.37 is out too, and it's great. Much better than Windows can Hope to be. Specially Windows Server 3003, 2008, and so on....

FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE has been out for a while now. I like it so much I installed it on every machine I own except one. It's stable, fast, secure, and that ******* Theo from OpenBSD isn't part of it, so you know it's great!

Oh did I mention that installing ports is easier than installing Office?

And hey, OpenSUSE is still kicking too!

Mandriva seems nice as well, and they actually TRY to be easy.

Fedora Core and Red Hat still suck harder than a cheap hooker.

Gentoo is still crappy.

I still miss BeOS.

Windows 95 and 98 are still better than Windows ME, XP, and a bunch of others.

Microsoft Works is still better than most versions of Office.

FreeDOS is still neat looking.

I found my old ZIP Drive, and like 12 100 MB ZIP Discs...I literally found one that had like a crap ton of old OLD Phreaking stuff on it too. And I found some with like old papers and text files on it; Remember back in the day when Text Files were like, text? And people "read" them?

I have like thousands of Text Files too.

http://www.textfiles.com/

Anyway, sorry about the length, but when you've been awake as long as I have, and you feel like I do right now, you tend to ramble on and on and on....

man gore, what's the issue with sleeping?

I've really liked Windows 7 pretty much since it came out, however I haven't done much hacking to it since I've gotten it. It doesn't seem like it's had much issues that I've noticed as far as stability is concerned. I've ran it for a few weeks at a time without any issues, but thats not really a big deal.

I stuck with the Debian distro on my desktop, never really got myself to actually uninstall it cause I like it so much. But I'm still having that issue with it freezing every few weeks . But I'm too lazy to keep looking for a solution.

man gore, what's the issue with sleeping?
    Yeah, I realize that there are a lot of drugs that are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be... but speed is definitely bad...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST