Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tor

Tor

So Ive spent the last 2 1/2 hours trying to get the Tor vidalia bundle (proxy client) up and running and its driving me crazy.

Actually everything seems right, the client says its connected, the message logs says a circuit been established, and I have poured through the FAQ on the site but can't find the exact problem.

The only reason I know that its not working, or at least my browser (firefox 5) doesn't recognize that it is is because when I go to Tor's check site: https://check.torproject.org/ it says its not connected. I have also noticed that the TorButton (a firefox extension) is incompatible with FF5.

The absolute only thing that I can think of is that the whole client is presently incompatible with FF5, or at least theres something about FF5 that doesn't recognize it. I've been messing with this a long time and its getting late, and if I don't have to I really don't want to uninstall FF5 just to revert to an earlier version that Im not even sure will work; and Im kinda fond of FF5, love its stability.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there something else I'm overlooking?

If I wasn't already a 'clean head' I'd have pulled my hair out by now

EDIT: I also notice there's a Trend Micro FF extension that is incompatible with v5. What is it about FF5 that makes it so anti-social??
    Last edited by IcSilk; August 4th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

HYBR|D
    Since mozilla is updating the version numbers more regularly to keep in the cool crowed App developers are having to constantly re-code there addon's to work with the new version.

A lot of addon developers arn't able to keep up with the new firefox build release's every other week.

if you were willing then going back to firefox 3.6.19 will result in the tor addon working fine.

here's a direct dwnload link for 3.6.19 http://download.mozilla.org/?product...win&lang=en-US

you can backup your firefox profile either using mozbackup http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

or simply by typing about:support then clicking the "Open containing Folder" then just .rar the content's in that folder, then un-install ff5, then when you re-install ff3.6.19 if it doesn't detect your old profile simply reload about:support and extract the .rar contents into the folder that opens overwriting the contents and your profile should return.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; August 4th, 2011 at 06:52 AM.

Shut down Tor, disable the TorButton.

Launch Tor from the command line and enable the TorButton.

THEN

Restart FF

That's what finally got it working for me.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Now it is saying it can't connect to the server, server connection error.

Shut down Tor, disable the TorButton.

Launch Tor from the command line and enable the TorButton.

THEN

Restart FF

That's what finally got it working for me.
    So before I scoured the FAQ on this issue I followed your advice to see if it made a difference, Dino

I originally tried the cmd line: start tor.exe
    said it couldn't find the file
    Then I tried the full path name (as in the attachment scrnshot) the first attempt was a copy/paste of the entire path location, the second attempt was typing in the entire path manually. Seems its only reading up to 'program' and then executing the command before it finished. Reminds me of my wife

I haven't used the cmd line in years, am I forgetting something? Im starting to feel real stupid over here.

the other attachment is the error message, but for a split second before this a parsing error message appears but doesn't stay long enough for me to read anything but 'Parsing Error'

What proxy is FF configured to use??

3rd EDIT: I keep editing this but I don't want to keep posting new and take up alot of space. so I went to FF options and changed it so it wouldn't connect to its own proxy configure how FF connects to internet -> no proxy and loaded a page and got the notification (in notification attachment below) hit ok and reloaded page and got the same error message. Im lost and didn't want to mess with FF proxy configuration any more since Im not sure about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IcSilk; August 4th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    Seems its only reading up to 'program' and then executing the command before it finished. Reminds me of my wife
    LMFAO In fact I had to go get another keyboard and monitor. (These things do not react kindly to Mountain Dew spewed from nostrils)

I'll look at my config tonight when I get home.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    3rd EDIT: I keep editing this but I don't want to keep posting new and take up alot of space.
    Don't stress about editing your post with each update. Just create a fresh post with each update, doesn't matter if you end up with multiple postings.

that way new readers to this topic won't get confused having to scroll up and down the page to see other messages posted, then having to re-read your OP to view the edited post with the new updates.

hope that makes some sense. 3am here and i'm half asleep

hope that makes some sense. 3am here and i'm half asleep
    LMAO you did really well, all things considered

Also, Hybrid, I can't get a connection with FF 3.6 either. Torbutton installs, says Tor enabled at bottom. but I get those error messages I attached up above. Im dying over here
    Last edited by IcSilk; August 4th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

HYBR|D
    Ok there's a Tutorial video that Ir0nGeek made.

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/tor-1

I just sat and watched it and i think you might find it handy. The video does take a few min's to load but it is worthwhile.

Yeah, Hybrid, that is what it took. Works now, but the problem is that I don't know why it works now lmao. this is not because of the vodka, I've added a screenshot and am sure its because I added the "network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains string and changed the network.dns.disableIPv6 to false. I can't be sure about this though, but am sure I've done nothing else to alter anything, lol (thats NOT the vodka).

I love that I (we) finally got it working but I hate that I have no understanding as to how. so, anyway, if you feel like posting in this thread again I'd love to hear more about the techs of this situation.

Thanx again

Blessings
    F
    Attached Images Attached Images

HYBR|D
    Were you using the correct dns settings in the firefox option menu? The localhost and IP etc.

Did you previously have to add them/edit them when you 1st installed the addon?

You could be onto something with the whole disabling IPv6 as that is somewhat new technology?