Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binary Breakdown

Hybrid View

Binary Breakdown

The SMTP protocol is used for the transmission of e-mails. SMTP takes care of sending your email to another computer.
    Normally your email is sent to an email server (SMTP server), and then to another server or servers, and finally to its destination.
    SMTP can only transmit pure text. It cannot transmit binary data like pictures, sounds or movies.
    SMTP uses the MIME protocol to send binary data across TCP/IP networks. The MIME protocol converts binary data to pure text.
    - from w3schools.com

A question for those more knowledgeable than me: Why are just the media sent through Email considered binary data? At its essence isn't all data binary? I mean I know text is derived from ASCII standard (if 'standard' is the correct term for it) but broken down even farther isn't it also binary in its origin?

Can someone break this down a bit for me, I'd really like a better understanding of this.

Thanks in advance to all respondents.

Blessings
    F
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

I think that by reviewing the OSI model you'll have an easier time understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

SMTP / Email is a part of the application layer, the highest level in this model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_Layer

where as these binary bits you're comparing it with are found on the physical layer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Layer
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    A question for those more knowledgeable than me: Why are just the media sent through Email considered binary data? At its essence isn't all data binary? I mean I know text is derived from ASCII standard (if 'standard' is the correct term for it) but broken down even farther isn't it also binary in its origin?
    True, in essence everything is binary data. The difference they're making has to do with how SMTP is set up. Some characters are illegal because they have a special meaning within the SMTP protocol. Real binary data would use codes that might interfere with this. This is why 'real' binary data like pictures are uuencoded. They are translated into character data that doesn't contain any of the reserved (or non-printable) characters. Unfortunately uuencoding makes the file 33% bigger (it translates 3 bytes to 4 characters). Which is one of the reasons why SMTP isn't suited to transfer large files. It's not the MIME protocol that does this. MIME is just a set of rules on how to designate certain data. For instance for pictures you'd use the MIME-type image/jpeg or image/gif. MIME itself doesn't translate anything. Mail clients like Outlook use the MIME-type to determine what to do with the blob of (uuencoded) data that follows it.
    Last edited by SirDice; July 20th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice View Post
    True, in essence everything is binary data.
    So the matrix IS real??

data sent over a wire is digital, most things comptarded are hex or octal.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Banned
    A hex editor, then hit the Delete highlight some of the information would be to delete such information, which is to transfer data after the highlighted portion (if any) and make the total length of the file shorter. So let's go, easy.

Usually, the editor will warn you about actions that change the length of a file, and encourage you to use copy and paste if possible. You should really make sure you know what you do when cutting down binary ...

Arrrrrgh!!!

@ metguru:

So the matrix IS real??
    It sure is, and being revisited on AO as we speak.

Al ist clar now: donaldsmith is not a bot............ he is AGENT SMITH.......... a very nasty little virus ..........

Bring on the Men in Black..........................

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    @ metguru:
    It sure is, and being revisited on AO as we speak.
    How have these bots not been banned yet? I understand the auto ban isn't in effect right now, but don't mods have the ability to do that? Or are you just trying to have fun with it

Or are you just trying to have fun with it
    In a word.............. "yes"

It does provide a bit of comic relief?

On a more serious note the Admins and Mods have discussed it, and have decided to leave it alone for the time being, as it doesn't appear to be a spambot or trollbot.

Both HYBR|D and myself are curious as to how it will develop

My guess is that it is some sort of college IT project to develop an automated help system???

I think that we can put up with one at the moment, but if they multiply or become too intrusive then we will have to reconsider?

nihil, it's a xrumer bot that's creating and growing aged accounts.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.