Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between Internet security and antivirus?

What is the difference between Internet security and antivirus?

Please be specific, and what is better? I really don't know what the difference is. Also, please tell me a good program, either internet security or anti-virus. Also, I need to be able to disable the anti-virus or internet security any time I want to. If you know any program, tell me. Thanks.

HYBR|D

Exclamation

Greetings.

You failed to mention what scenerio your needs are for? Home use? Workplace? & Operating System?

Now most Security Suits provide an all in 1 package, ie: firewall / Antivirus / Spyware-Malware protection.

Or there's stand-alone products were you would need to choose a Firewall & Antivirus app, and some sort of malware/spyware scanner.

Personally i choose to stay away from those all in 1 products, simply because they are bloated and eat up system resources.

I would recommened the following:>

PCtools firewall plus

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Microsoft security essentials

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/secur...s/default.aspx

SPybot search & destroy

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

The above mentioned applications are free, just because they are does not mean they perform less then those paid applications.

And to answer your last question, yes both the firewall & Antivirus software can be disabled & re-enabled with a few clicks of the mouse, just find the relevant icon in your system tray, right click and find the relevant option and your set.

The spybot search & destroy software will only run when you launch it and do the manual scans. So it will only run when you launch it, and once you've finished simply close it and it won't sit there idling in the background eating system resources etc.

cheers
    Last edited by HYBR|D; July 24th, 2011 at 07:29 AM.

Hello griceldapere, and welcome to AO.

I will assume that your operating system is some sort of Windows, if it isn't then the answers will be quite different. The question is which version of Windows?

If it is Windows 7 or Vista, have you got UAC activated?

For an antivirus I use Avira Antivir Personal, as it has a good detection rate and is more customisable than most other free versions.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

As well as Spybot S&D I would recommend Malwarebytes (I use both) as they both tend to find different things. Like Spybot you run it on demand so it isn't using resources in the background.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/http://

Also, I need to be able to disable the anti-virus or internet security any time I want to.
    Why? is it for gaming? The problem here is that a lot of malware tries to close security products so they are not as easy to completely shut down as you might think. I believe that several of the paid for products do have a "gaming mode" though.

Alternatively you could set up a separate user profile for gaming and use a sandbox if you are online.

Internet Security suites usually include an antivirus application as well as firewall, anti malware, anti spyware, and email protection programs. It is better than standalone antivirus, but more costly.

The one with best performance and suited to you is probably Kaspersky.

Quote Originally Posted by griceldapere View Post
    Please be specific, and what is better? I really don't know what the difference is. Also, please tell me a good program, either internet security or anti-virus. Also, I need to be able to disable the anti-virus or internet security any time I want to. If you know any program, tell me. Thanks.
    Both antivirus and internet security has the same purpose, securing your online activities from internet malware attacks, The difference between two lies on the feature being offered. While taking antivirus it has the features of securing you from virus and some malicious softwares, on the other hand Internet Security has some extra features like personal firewall, antispam, parental control and more...

Sherinfriedler,

Please look at the post dates which are in the left hand side of the blue bar; you replied to a post that was 18 months old.............. if they haven't sorted it by then they are already dead!

internet security contains a lot of things like anti-virus, firewall Privacy service and spam killer. you may found antiviruses which can protect in you in both cases. some are the antivirus protect only from external device like flash, hard drive floppy etc.

I preferred net net protector for internet security. Its work fine for me i use this more than 3 years.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

It all depends on what you do with your computer. If you do a lot of downloading and surfing I would suggest at least an anti-virus and spyware program.

The big different between a suite and just an anti-virus is the extras that come with the suite. You usually have a firewall, spyware program and a restore function within it. If you don't need all these bells and whistles, stick with just a straight anti-virus. A suite will most likely slow down your PC.

Hi,

The first thing to remember is that you will be protected against only around 25% of current security threats, and that is on a good day!

A big difference between a suite and a composite set-up, is that you will have to pay for the suite, but it will only require the one update at a time, and is naturally integrated. This makes it an attractive solution for the non-computer literate home user.

As of 30/April/2013 I would recommend Avast! as an AV and Zone Alarm as a software firewall; both for the non-literati , and with free for private use versions.

If you do a lot of surfing, and downloading, I would suggest using a sandbox to run your browser in, as this will help to protect your core systems.

Sandboxie or Fortres Grand come to mind. I use Sandboxie at the moment.

At the end of the day, security is down to the user; so if your anti-malware won't let you do something, just ask yourself why not? rather than try to find a way round it!