Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I find out the IP of a computer.

How do I find out the IP of a computer.

Hello,
    How do I find out the IP Address of a system that 'had' connected to my WLAN Router during the day? (Note that it is no longer on the network)
    And with this information how do I get to know the system name?
    I had someone access my "Unsecured" network and delete files from some of the shared folders (yes I know its stupid to have had an unsecure network) :-)
    Pls Help ASAP.
    Cheers

Moderator Note:> HYBR|D
    Action Taken:> Moved this post from an older topic. ( http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?t=278745 )
    Last edited by HYBR|D; July 25th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.

The IP address of a system that has joined the network but is no longer there isn't much use when dealing with wifi. DHCP assigns a free IP address to whomever joins. That doesn't actually identify who was involved.

Your router should have a log showing the IP addresses and/or mac addresses of all connections.
    The logs will not show the system name.

HYBR|D
    I am curious if the person was smart enough to at least use a anon proxy before causing havoc on your shared device?

Could it be a close-by neighbour? maybe a teenager getting into mischief?

If ther person has struck once, i would imagine that they would tempt fate in the future and try again.

HoneyPot comes to mind, while actively capturing network in-bound - out-bound traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    I am curious if the person was smart enough to at least use a anon proxy before causing havoc on your shared device
    What do you mean? Aren't we talking about a local network? How would you use a proxy for local connections? And even if you did, couldn't you just MAC spoof instead?

How do you know that the intruder connected via wireless connection instead of via a wired connection?
    Is you connection to your ISP wireless?

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    What do you mean? Aren't we talking about a local network? How would you use a proxy for local connections? And even if you did, couldn't you just MAC spoof instead?
    Correct, sorry was in a rush when i typed out my post. I rushed the submit reply instead of taking my time.

i originally moved the topic, i had briefly glanced over the post prior to moving it into it's own thread, then i later made my post without refreshing the page & properly re-reading and just typing what i typed and not taking my time with a proper response.

Sorry for the confusion folks.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry90 View Post
    How do I find out the IP Address of a system that 'had' connected to my WLAN Router during the day? (Note that it is no longer on the network)
    And with this information how do I get to know the system name?
    Suppose you found out it's 192.168.1.34 and the system's name is "SOMELAPTOP". Then what?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi there gerry90, and welcome to AO

Could we have a few more details of the equipment please? In particular; does this device support wired cat5/RJ45 connections as well, and if so, is it physically secure.

For example, I have a wireless router that has two RJ45 network ports. It is in my bedroom, so it is physically secure.

On the other hand, it is not wirelessly secure as I discovered the other day whilst fixing a friends laptop. The lappy had not been registered on my network, yet software was able to update itself via the internet.

It would appear that whilst it provides some security for the network it is serving, it does not have security of itself. Also it does not seem to do much in the way of activity logging.

My point is that apart from the fact that your data appears to have been messed with, how do you know that unauthorised access took place, and that it was wireless in its origin?

I think that metguru has a point with MAC spoofing?..............if your router thinks that the device is genuine it will let it connect?

I doubt if you will find any useful information after the event.

EDIT:

@ SirDice:

Suppose you found out it's 192.168.1.34 and the system's name is "SOMELAPTOP". Then what?
    Exactly!
    Last edited by nihil; July 26th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.

you should also look through your machine's Security Event Log during the time said user was there.

It *should* give you computer name, ip address (if via ip) and any user name it attempted (guest or other) ... if you're not logging then you need to setup security logging so that you GET said information.. its not the greatest (security event log) but it is something.