Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python

Python

Ok, through a vodka induced 'slowness' I've decided this was the proper spot for this question.
    I've started to learn PYTHON, at a very beginner stage, this is a completely self taught effort and I will be coming here alot for questions.

this is where I am:
    Complex numbers are always represented as two floating point numbers, the real and imaginary part. To extract these parts from a complex number z, use z.real and z.imag.
    >>> a=1.5+0.5j
    >>> a.real
    >>> a.imag
    and I have to admit, Im so befuddled by this that Im not even sure of my exact question
    Really what I need is a complete breakdown of this whole component, if anyone is up for it.
    the .real command (is it considered a command or something else?) and the .imag 'command'.

Any and all input is welcome here, as one's two cents might make perfect sense, and anothers
    might make just as much sense but the two together might make a
    revelation.

And WTF is meant by 'floating point numbers'?

thanx all

Blessings
    F
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

.real isn't really considered a command. More of an attribute of the variable that it is used with. When typing in a.real, python (which is a scripting language) outputs the real part of the number a.

Do you have a full conceptual understanding of the imaginary number system?

A floating point variable is one that contains a decimal point that can be anywhere within the variable, hence 'float'. They are usually 4 bytes of resolution, however different languages are different with variable sizes, so that's more of a reference to the classic C/C++ style. However even if your variable is more or less than 4 bytes, it is possible that it still only has 4 bytes of resolution (ie: Java; however in this case, variable are not actually variables and are treated as objects, so they'll take up much more than the 4 bytes of space).

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    Really what I need is a complete breakdown of this whole component, if anyone is up for it.
    the .real command (is it considered a command or something else?) and the .imag 'command'.
    You first need to know what complex numbers are.

The basis is that j = sqrt ( -1 ) and j^2 = -1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_numbers
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You first need to know what complex numbers are.
    lmao. yeah you're right..............got a looooong way to go
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

OK, Im ready and willing to admit I have some studying to attend to:

Complex numbers are also supported; imaginary numbers are written with a suffix of j or J. Complex numbers with a nonzero real component are written as (real+imagj), or can be created with the complex(real, imag) function.
    >>> 1j * 1J (-1+0j) >>> 1j * complex(0,1) (-1+0j) >>> 3+1j*3 (3+3j) >>> (3+1j)*3 (9+3j) >>> (1+2j)/(1+1j) (1.5+0.5j)
    Where do I start?? 'j'/'J' as an imaginary number is not a mathematical variable?

Wow, I really need to go back and study number theory/algebra. Im astounded this makes so little sense to me right now.

I did just get off your wiki link, sir dice, and my mind is just completely rejecting it all right now. Maybe I just gotta try again tomorrow.
    That wiki link isn't quite the novice level breakdown that I think I need though. DAMN I FEEL DUMB RIGHT NOW
    Last edited by IcSilk; August 14th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.

I would say start with hashes?

http://diveintopython.org/getting_to...tionaries.html

scripting/programming is only easy because it's a completely man made thing that every person has agreed upon the concept of "this does this in my language"...once again, more personal information is needed to asses skill level...the hard part is all that time reading boring details. just guessing.
    Last edited by bludgeon; August 14th, 2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: I'm from the ass on this one, I'm more bettah with perl...
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Good site, thanks.

...the hard part is all that time reading boring details. just guessing.
    lmao, good guess! that type of reading is where my mind starts dumbing down.

Does this make things any easier? http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number
    Wikipedia has simplified articles under Simplified English. Sometimes makes technical articles easier to understand.

^ Yes, thank you. I didn't have the time to read it all the way through right now but the skimming of it I did makes much more sense ....

stayed tuned

Just Another Geek
    Yes, the basic idea is that i (or j) is a number, not a variable. It's a bit of a mathematical construct to help solve certain problems.

It resolves around the rule that any number (positive or negative) multiplied by itself gives a positive result. To 'break' that rule they've come up with i. If you multiply i with itself the result is negative. Something that isn't possible with the 'old' rules.

Complex numbers make certain mathematical problems easier to solve.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.