Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 page

1 page

So again, I really hope this is the appropriate spot for this post - that is often the hardest part about posting

So Im in a real financial bind and have been brainstorming on how to better my situation, and which knowledge I have to do so. HTML, CSS and JavaScript are my most thorough abilities, I've been learning Python but mostly concentrating on re-learning the JavaScript I knew years ago and haven't used in awhile.

My idea is this: I live in a college town and the students are coming back real soon. Like most college towns there are alot of Sub shops and pizza joints. These places can get backed up with business and rather hectic at times so I was thinking that I could help them a bit.
    Im thinking of passsing out some flyers and soliciting some business to build a one page web presence form for orders. The hungry customer can hop on the web quick, put in their order, what time they want to pick it up and the form shows them the amount and, best case scenario, the order is waiting for them when they arrive, cutting down on wait time and in-store congestion.
    The beauty of it, as far as I can see, is its a simple matter of HTML, CSS, and JS. Its one page, its simple. The business would simply have to have a computer on site opened to a page with an alert system for incoming orders.
    I know I will have to put some PHP in there too. I don't know much PHP - yet - but it can't be that complex of a script.

I was wondering about the alert system for the business computer and if anyone had any ideas how that should be set up.
    Actually if anyone had any ideas at all about this project I would really appreciate any input. I also have no idea about the fee set up. Should I charge a one time fee or should I set up the program (alterable for different situations) and charge a monthly subscription fee, maintenence included?

Looking forward to new ideas and new knowledge ...

Blessings
    F
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

To make a site that's functional you have to pay a service, like Gaypal, or deal directly with the Merchant Services through their banks or a third party processor. You're opening yourself up to an issue where they will start to question processing fees per transaction and you will slowly become their processing fee rate negotiator. If you did it right, ime.

If you want to spam local markets with a gaypal-esque type site, totally amateur and a total rip off in my opinion, approach them with decent quality color examples of styles you could produce and prominently display the logo/s of the "processing services" you'll set up for them...limit your liability by making a file for each business you approached with a dated copy of everything you ever handed them...

Also, could just be me, but aO is running slower than tortuga nalgas in the negative nancy's sandy vagina. 0_o
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

To make a site that's functional you have to pay a service, like Gaypal, or deal directly with the Merchant Services through their banks or a third party processor.
    Ahh, thank you for the response. I think you misunderstood - or maybe I mis-explained ... I won't be handling any finances at all. The customer still pays at the counter, so to speak. I am simply pondering a form the allows customers to order online and go pick up their order, pay for it and leave without having to wait to order and then wait for said order to be fulfilled - keeping waiting time down, and cutting down on in-store congestion. Of course there will be a hosting fee to an ISP but that is part and parcel. But I won't have anything to do with the financing other than collecting my service fee or subscription fee (whichever way I choose to go).
    All I want is for the customer to enter their order. hit submit, and the server transfers the order to a site exclusive to the business so they can fulfill the order when the customer arrives.
    Im just thinking of offering a way to streamline small-business, essentially.

Also, could just be me, but aO is running slower than tortuga nalgas in the negative nancy's sandy vagina. 0_o
    LMAO not sure what this means exactly, other than AO is really boggy at the moment; and that its not just you, it was taking so long I had to shut down my browser and restart. Rest assured you're not alone
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

^>

Oh, just pre-order? Most people would use their cells to order a pizza on the way home, js...would be a hard sell. The two remote machine things would be easy, especially with your aO join date :P.

It becomes a question of Pavlov's dogs after the machines are set up. Do you have that assigned as an official job, then? "Pre-order" machine gate mastah-keeper."? Or perhaps a part of a "running side work" of duties all employees must comply with?

I'ma sound arrogant, but if you're trying to introduce a "service/product" to anyone that you're trying to sell...there's only one point involved that you need to get across to your gimp victim..."how does this shmucks servduct make **** easier for me?'.

....otherwise, notification...get old box, use serial ports on old mobo, engineer simple switch attached to release on mouse/rat/bear trap <- adjust size to level of psycho...print data to one of those little wireless printers that you attached to an elastic band the employee wears on their head so the order scrolls past their face?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    my take
    it already exists
    pre order was nothing new 30 years back

maybe take your prog knowledge and offer out of hours / night school training
    you DID say you lived in student town ?

OR update / renew your certs and get a job that pays better than you are on now

but TBH the chances of your choice making you ANY $$$$$ at all are remote I'm sorry to say
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I know pre-order is nothing new, but Im also sure that the small mom and pop subshops around here don't use it. I've been thinking about it more and realize that I probably need a different idea. I was just looking for something that was quick and that I could shoot together real quick as times are tough and wifey's in hospital.

I'll be back ..........

Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. I know pre-order is nothing new, but Im also sure that the small mom and pop subshops around here don't use it. I've been thinking about it more and realize that I probably need a different idea. I was just looking for something that was quick and that I could shoot together real quick as times are tough and wifey's in hospital.

I'll be back ..........
    I guess you could try reselling "ad search" type crap? Check prices, add ten percent, write proposal, deliver to local businesses, keep dated records, ???????, DEBIT!!!!

I guess you could try reselling "ad search" type crap? Check prices, add ten percent, write proposal, deliver to local businesses, keep dated records, ???????, DEBIT!!!!
    What do you mean by this? Im not being sarcastic but Im really not quite sure what you're getting at.

Write a Droid and iPhone app. Distribute it through the Campus store. Charge local mom - n - pop businesses for enrollment in your app

Sort of like the 70's yellow pages.

Should only take 100,000k in cash + the purchase of local politicians and the college board of trusties. SIMPLE
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    What do you mean by this? Im not being sarcastic but Im really not quite sure what you're getting at.
    If you look at googel's marketing for their paid for ads...you offer the same service, add 10% for setting it up, keep records, wash your hands of it, profit...let them deal with googel's renewal charge every month.

"wanna be number one on the largest search engine on the planet? look at this?"...most people have no clue...