Thread: SAP.. Why do you have to be so weird?

SAP.. Why do you have to be so weird?

So we recently got rid of our expensive as *pick your expletive* (Seriously overpriced) contract ABAP developer because they were taking way too long to develop anything. My boss actually learned ABAP and did in two weeks what it took our so called "Professional" developer months to do.

Recently, I have been tasked with learning ABAP and doing the work for fractions of whatever we paid the contract dev.

I personally hate SAP and find it a way overpriced POS that is ridiculously complex and their naming conventions suck... But... It does have a lot to offer and you can make a good living doing ABAP coding and I'm sure that once I get into it, I will hate it less. I guarantee nothing tho.

I'm just kinda curious if anyone else here has any experience or words of wisdom to share about SAP. Or we could all just hate on it together. Because thats all i feel currently..
    Last edited by mungyun; August 12th, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

I can't hate or admire it, one way or the other...I've worked with a few different POS touch screen applications, and they've all used a different approach...

the Cowboy ABAP/SAP thing looks pretty procedural and very usable, imo...it's almost like a Fortran, simplistic approach that I respect.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Yeah, i was a bit overwhelmed and frustrated initially when i made this post but now that i have had time to do a few basic programs and write some reports, I'm liking it a bit more.

The language itself isn't all that bad. Its the sheer amount of searching you have to do to find the data you want. That and naming conventions are still crazy to me, but from what i have read, finding the data you need is sometimes harder than the actual coding.

I figure once i get a better understanding, i'd post some tidbits for the potential future ABAP'er
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by mungyun View Post
    I figure once i get a better understanding, i'd post some tidbits for the potential future ABAP'er
    Do it!! I would appreciate it, if you did. I still pull off rioter's "net" commands tut that's on here, sumwhere's...a0 has it's benefits if you can remember who posted good stuff...

...speaking of which, bring back Ms. Mittens!!!
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.