December 29th, 2011 07:42 AM
What all do I need to secure on Wireless Network?
Hi all, I'm new to the community, so please excuse my noobness.
I currently have several PCs that require access to my wireless router, and I need to know what all I need to do to better secure them (from the ROUTER side).
- I have a 2Wire router from ATT.
- I am using WPA2-PSK (AES-256) encryption
- I have MAC address filtering enabled
I have no idea how/what to set my other security settings for this router.
I'm not a security (let alone wireless) guru, so any help would be appreciated.
- Wifi Protection Setup (WPS) = disabled ... no idea what this does
- SSID Broadcast = enabled ... I'm told this should be off... should I?
- Firewall setting = "Disallow unsolicited inbound traffic"
Not sure what else I can modify...
If someone could list some things I should do, or some really useful websites/articles, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
December 30th, 2011 07:39 AM
You've done all you can. Just make sure the key you use is sufficiently long and random.
Turning SSID broadcasts off is useless as a security precaution. It'll only make it more difficult for you to use your own wireless network. Same goes for MAC filtering, it's a useless exercise.
What ever you do, don't turn on WPS.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
December 31st, 2011 06:00 PM
I don't know that router, so here are a couple of wild guesses:
1. All clients should be set to "public network" .......... that way they can't see eachother and share their fleas?
2. Enclose all locations within a Faraday cage, and use a directional (line of sight) antenna for external communication.
If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?
February 20th, 2013 10:16 AM
i Need to network secrity use the secure the data and every income the threat and use the many facility then secure the network
March 6th, 2013 06:59 AM
By cheyenne1212 in forum Miscellaneous Security Discussions
Last Post: February 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM
By Neg in forum AntiOnline's General Chit Chat
Last Post: August 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
By gore in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: March 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM
By qod in forum The Security Tutorials Forum
Last Post: February 27th, 2004, 02:03 AM
By -DaRK-RaiDeR- in forum Newbie Security Questions
Last Post: December 14th, 2002, 07:38 PM