administrator password - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: administrator password

That's most likely the reason for your net start command failure.

From a cmd window enter net start. You'll get a list of running services.
    Then pick a service to play with and enter net stop <service name>
    followed by a net start <service name>.

You don't need to use "the" administrator account as long as your own account has admin privileges.

lol, yeah ok. I just messed with it and you're right.

Thats another example of me trying to be cleverer than the situation calls for

Im in the midst of writing a batch to automate it right now anyways, soo ........ problem solved.

(Until Im back here because I messed up the .bat file somehow, lol

Thanks
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Though I finally figured it out I still don't understand why the /u:administrator switch didn't work since I am the administrator.

If anyone who can explain this and who doesn't mind keeping this thread open long enough to do so would, I would be really appreciative.
    Please accept this as an educated guess rather than a definitive technical explanation, but I believe that foxy~ has it right.

I haven't really played with Windows 7 that much, but Windows creates a default administrator account of its own when you install it. In addition the first user account that you create is defaulted to be a member of the administrators group.

AFAIK, the default administrator account only shows up when you log in into safe mode, and the default password is blank. I have seen the default account use the same password as the original user, but I am not sure if that was Windows or the user altering it afterwards.

The bottom line is that I believe that the default admin account is only available in safe mode, which would be why your first command failed?

If anyone knows better, please enlighten us.
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

The bottom line is that I believe that the default admin account is only available in safe mode, which would be why your first command failed?
    You know - I never even thought of that, but I think you're right. when i get some time quick, I'll check it out and let you know
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

The command failed because it was attempting to start a nonexistent service.

The default Administrator account is visible and can be managed as part of normal Windows 7 operations via Computer Management, Local Users and Groups. It has the same privileges as any other account in the Administrators group. After installing the OS the next thing I do is disable the Administrator account and Guest account. I am discussing a non-domain environment. In a Windows domain things get more complicated because there are separate local and domain sets of users, groups and privileges interacting with each other.