Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: administrator password

administrator password

I run Win 7. Ive recently stopped winPcap from running at boot so I had to start it myself. when trying to run it from the command line it then asks me for administrator password. I am the sole user for this computer, my account is set up as administrator so i typed the password I use to log onto OS with.
    It doesn't work.
    I tried disabling my account password and it still asks for one. Is there a different default one Im not aware of?
    Im not getting it.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    which version of W7 you running
    and as per normal MS traits, there is an admin account set up as you build the PC
    hopefully you wont have a blank password set up
    OR failing that, try adding the full name to your account
    is it on a domain

mydomain\myaccount

or even

thisPC\myaccount

but there are lots of things that can trip you up
    and in about two more OS's MS should have 'em all set in place
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

version 6.1.7601 SP 1

no domain

but there are lots of things that can trip you up
    and in about two more OS's MS should have 'em all set in place
    lmao, you'd think they'd have them figured out by now
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

HYBR|D
    Try disabling UAC temporarly then try again to run the command.

or place a shortcut to the cmd prompt onto the Desktop, then all you need to do is right click and choose the Run as Administrator.

This can be done by clicking the start button, then in that little search box type cmd . Then simply right click on the little icon that appears, then select send to Desktop. It will make a shortcut icon onto your desktop.

Only other idea i can think of at the moment is just to turn of UAC completly.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; September 4th, 2011 at 02:50 AM.

I think if you type 'cmd' into the start search, and then press ctrl+shift+enter, it will open the session as an admin.

Have you tried starting it from services.msc?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I swear to god I am such a *tard ...

I had tried all the above suggestions and none of them worked.
    this is the cmd command I was using:

runas /u:administrator "net start npf"

and of course it was asking me for the password. I figured since I had the admin account set up for myself that it would be the same password as to access my account (the sole one on my computer). I was wrong.

I changed the command to this:

runas /u:[my account name] "net start npf"

And of course I was then able to use my password.I also took ownershipof the cmd program first but that still didn't work using the original command syntax.

Though I finally figured it out I still don't understand why the /u:administrator switch didn't work since I am the administrator.

If anyone who can explain this and who doesn't mind keeping this thread open long enough to do so would, I would be really appreciative.

Thanks

Did you enable the account named “administrator”?
    ( Check the properties of the user “administrator” to see if it is disabled or not )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Is your account name -> Administrator or is it something else?

Exactly what service is npf? Is it present in the listed services display from services.msc?

Did you enable the account named “administrator”?
    ( Check the properties of the user “administrator” to see if it is disabled or not )
    Yes, the admin account is enabled.

Quote:
    Is your account name -> Administrator or is it something else?
    No, my account name is my old military call name, not administrator

Exactly what service is npf? Is it present in the listed services display from services.msc?
    NPF is Net Packet Filter for capturing live network packets through WireShark (WinPCap)
    I could not find it anywhere in services.msc. there is no search function but I spend quite a while scrolling through it looking.