Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *nix command processor/Win OS

In *nix you need to enter the full path along with the executable name (command).
    If you are in the directory the path is ./

hmph, yeah UA. Im not making any headway on this at all. Your last post didn't do me any good and I can't get anything to work. The VBox install went smooth as did the FreeBSD install into the VM. Or, at least, seemingly so.
    Im really at a loss, Im still looking things up right now but I haven't yet found anything to help.

I really need some good newb advice right now
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

When I go to the command list (?) this is all that comes up (see attachment), actually when I page down theres 5 or 6 more that come up.

Now Im a complete *nix dunce as I lay here typing right now, and Im trying to change that, but as it stands I don't see how anyone gets anything done. Have I proven that I grew up under Windows?

but seriously there has to be more than this. I don't even see commands to create or really manipulate files as one can, in say the Win command line.
    I really feel as if Im failing myself here.

I mean, Im not sure about alot of these commands, but so far I haven't found one that would even get you connected to an outside network, or anything really, other than check out your own system.

Im lost .... really I am.

BTW, the 6 remaining commands that don't show in the screenshot are:
    boot-config
    read-config
    enable-module
    disable-module
    toggle-module
    show-module
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    alot of what I read here isn't really working. First of all the prompt is not # it is 'ok'
    For example I type 'adduser' at the OK prompt and it says adduser not found, I type '# adduser' and it says error: stack underflow
    That's because you're in the loader, not the actual system.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?q...SD+8.2-RELEASE

What version did you try? I would recommend not using 9.0 yet.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/index.html

But if all of this is a bit too much to handle at first, you may want to give PC-BSD a try first. At least until you get the hang of things.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice, I don't really agree that FreeBSD is a very good way to begin learning to use unix. Debian on the other hand allows you to use it as a desktop distro without knowing very much and installs all the necessary drivers and everything for you, so it 'just works', and you can learn to use the command line of a fully capable system from the get-go instead of learning to use the unix command line while simultaneously learning to configure a BSD distro. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    SirDice, I don't really agree that FreeBSD is a very good way to begin learning to use unix. Debian on the other hand allows you to use it as a desktop distro without knowing very much and installs all the necessary drivers and everything for you, so it 'just works', and you can learn to use the command line of a fully capable system from the get-go instead of learning to use the unix command line while simultaneously learning to configure a BSD distro. Just my opinion though.
    I agree. I could also say that since you are wanting to learn, Ubuntu is pretty user friendly and it allows you to install it on your current system without having to partition or anything. It uses the windows installer to install it and it works pretty good so you don't need a VM. Just be sure to choose the third option on the download screen to Install it with Windows
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

You may wish to visit our sister site justlinux.com.

Yeah, FreeBSD seems a bit much for me at the moment. I want to keep the VM now, its an emerging technology and Id like to familiarize myself with it more fully. So whats the consensus on *nix newb user friendliness? Ubuntu or Debian? I will be installing it on the VM, btw.

You may wish to visit our sister site justlinux.com.
    Thanks for that, will be registering shortly. Thats an AO sister site??

Ubuntu is sort of an offshoot of Debian. Either one would work out. Ubuntu is good... I use it quite a bit. It is almost too easy to use though. If you want to use linux/unix your should be irritated most of the time... which is why a lot of people around here recommend things like slackware and BSD. (kidding, kidding... don't kill me gore) -- Debian is a pretty good OS, and is the base for many Linux distros. Also check out live-build.debian.net for making a customized debian build.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    Thanks for that, will be registering shortly. Thats an AO sister site??
    It is a member of the Internet.com group of sites. I help admin 9 of their many sites.