Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: *nix command processor/Win OS

Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    ... that makes me hopeful that I can still enable it on the server version.
    Is that correct? If so do you know how? If the answer to the previous two questions is 'yes' will you tell me how? lol Just messing around.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    This installs the desktop packages including open office and the likes. If you want ONLY gnome and are trying to keep your os lightweight, then go for
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install --without-recommends ubuntu-desktop

//OFF TOPIC//

If you have Windows 7 Ultimate you can d/l Microsoft's virtual machine for free //

lmao, this is effin killing me. I've tried installing the Ubuntu Desktop four times now. at the end of every one it says its failed to fetch certain files. At first I thought maybe they weren't that important, but I got into root and tried apt-get update then run startx (read that one in some forum but I get told its not a BASH command. So I restart the machine and I still only have CLI.

Im really getting to the point Im about to give up on this #$%(ing thread. I search around and half the crap I learn doesn't work, I can't use the up arrow key, the shift+up, shift+pg up to scroll through the shell.

The g&*damned shell is lucky its protected by my real computer or it would have gone out the window. I hate coming back here everytime to post something but I can't find a F&*(ing thing online that consistently works, except for the vid that Westin posted, I've watched it twice. most those commands work except the most important one (man) it even tells me to use man in the help and when I do it says its not a BASH command.

I need a drink ........... and therapy ..........
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

I would recommend downloading the workstation version of Ubuntu. It comes with the GUI by default, and still has a fully functional command line. I use server quite a bit, but I have been messing with Linux for years. Starting with CLI only could be a bit frustrating.

I would also suggest selecting 10.04 from the drop down. I haven't used 11.04 much, but I have seen some negative reviews.

Don't give up.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Don't give up.
    No, I haven't given up. I just needed a break ... Usually after a break you come back and things get better ... it wasn't to be this time

I DLed the desktop version, burnt it to cd and about 55% into the install of the platform I get an unrecoverable error that it says is probably due to disk or disk drive error. I COULDN'T EFFIN BELIEVE IT

afterwards I could actually use the GUI but not without the disk and because of the error not completely .. is the need for the disk only because of the error causing an incomplete install?

Also, Why does this need to be burned to disk? is there no way to install this from my host pc or a usb drive? I've been playing around with things but haven't figured it out yet. And the DLed file is and NTI icon which is a media maker software.

This is so irritating .. and Im getting fed up with this thread to
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Yeah, I am really a *tard. disregard that last post. I got it. Sorry AO@internet.com for the bandwidth, lol.
    Im one of those people who get stupider and stupider the more time I spend on one project - I'v analyzed this but thats for another time and place

So the Ubuntu GUI looks kind of .... how would you say? .. cute, I guess

I has a thought while it was installing: I was going about other stuff and clicked back to check the status, and the bit of the installation slideshow it was on was the bit about email and staying connected etc etc. Seeing that I had a flashback of a post I've been seeing on the 'recent posts' page here entitled 'Email Hacking'. I haven't even viewed this thread yet but I recalled seeing it everytime I've come here in about the last week.

But it got me thinking ... How are VMs traced? I mean if someone was up to no good on one could they trace the VM through its host? Since Im not too familiar with VMs as of yet and how they actually work I can't quite conceptualize how one would go about pinpointing one.

Just curious, Im really not up to no good

If you wanted to try out Linux or Unix / BSD, and didn't want to have to partition a HD to do so, why didn't you just download a LiveCD version? Basically, you download an ISO format CD image, and then, you burn it as an image, and make sure the software you are using set it to be bootable (Some software makes you have to actually tell it that you want the thing bootable) and then, you pop the CD in, reboot, and it loads up, and runs off the CD.

You CAN install it to the HD, but you don't have to. SLAX is one, for example, based on Slackware, and OpenSUSE is one I'd recommend too. And once you're done looking at the pretty GUI, you can open up an X-Term, or Konsole, or Gnome-Terminal, and start typing commands, and watch them run.

Also, you don't have to give full path names. It's not 1970.