Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *nix command processor/Win OS

*nix command processor/Win OS

I would like to start learning some basic *nix commands but I really don't feel like partitioning my harddrive and installing a *nix OS right now.

I've been looking around for a *nix command processor that I can run on Win 7 OS. Im not even sure if they, or even one, exists.

Really Im just looking for a DLable software prog. or online site where I can practice *nix commands in real time and with real effects on my Win 7 OS.

Anyone point me in the right direction, or at least let me know if Im wasting my time in this search.

thanks again
    F
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Have you considered setting up a virtual pc or booting *nix from a dvd? My workstation used to have 4 OS's running concurrently all interacting with each other and the network. IIRC the native OS was Win2k3 with VMware and the virtual ones were Win7 beta, CentOS and FreeBSD.

Have you considered setting up a virtual pc or booting *nix from a dvd?
    Nope, honestly neither one of them have ever crossed my mind. I got a bug stuck up my butt thinking that a *nix command processor for windows had to have been developed and I got stuck on that idea.
    Im clueless about virtual pc's. but as of right now that is my research project for the night ... so stay around, as usual Im sure I'll have a buttload of questions about it.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Alright, I've been looking at VM for the past few minutes. The only one I've really read anything on is MS VM.

Are there any better ones? I mean, Can I run *nix on MS VM or do I need to look for certain VMs for *nix?

advice, please .. advice and direction are always well received.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    You can run vmware workstation on a 30 day trial or if you arent looking to spend anything, run Oracles Virtual Box.

Its pretty simple to setup.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    I got a bug stuck up my butt thinking that a *nix command processor for windows had to have been developed and I got stuck on that idea.
    You can give CygWin a go. But setting up a VM is probably better.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yeah, Ive DLed and installed Oracle Virtual Box.

As I said before this is to run a *nix OS on.

Any suggestions?

And once I figure out which *nix OS to run, can I DL it directly from the VM?

Its 3am now and Im strung out stupid. Alot of this will probably be very clear to me in the morning/afternoon but I still love the input and advice.

Blessings
    F

Just Another Geek
    Try a real unix: http://www.freebsd.org

Just download the ISO for disk one and set virtualbox to boot from the image.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Try a real unix: http://www.freebsd.org
    Alright, I looked into it and took this advice. Installed FreeBSD on Oracle Vbox.

I was looking on the FreeBSD website at the new users guide here

alot of what I read here isn't really working. First of all the prompt is not # it is 'ok'
    For example I type 'adduser' at the OK prompt and it says adduser not found, I type '# adduser' and it says error: stack underflow

as a matter of fact most of the commands Here come back as Not Found. Actually all of them are not found other than the ls command but its switches (do they call them switches in *nix) don't work.

Im brand new to virtual computing and a total newb to *nix. But since gettig some *nix experience was my reason for getting into virtual computing this is really irritating.