Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old HP Compaq

as you have a SMART warning
    you really need to swap out the HDD PDQ
    THEN a clean install of XP Home using the COA key from PC itself
    then you will have a nice little PC ready to go again
    Im on the PhoenixBIOS setup utility right now trying to figure things out a bit and learn some stuff I didn't know before.

I have to physically remove and install a new HDD or will wiping the old one clean and starting over work?
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    SMART is self monitoring the HDD, it is telling you it is about to fail - physically
    you need to replace it with a new one
    probably the reason the PC was running like a dog too
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Here is a free home edition dump analyzer.
    Microsoft also has a dump analyzer/debug package, WinDbg. Here is a good WinDbg resource page.

S.M.A.R.T is an acronym for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. It is a HDD manufacturers' sort of standard, although individual implementations vary.

It works at the BIOS level (which is where you can activate/deactivate it, depending on your BIOS implementation) and is OS independent.

Basically, if you have a SMART error like yours, you need a new HDD pronto!

This has nothing to do with what is on the drive, corrupt or otherwise, it is a physical/electronic fault with the drive itself. Hence wiping it and reinstalling would be a total waste of time. So, yes, you do have to physically replace it (look for a bigger drive, as a replacement and make sure that you get the right connection, as there was a shift from EIDE to SATA around 2004/5 )

would advise you get 2GB of RAM too
    Not really foxy~, that thing takes DDR1/333MHz 200 pin SODIMS. Crucial say $49/£36 for a 1GB strip.............not worth it for a 1.8GHz single core box, as it will not run Vista or 7 in any acceptable manner. His money would be far better spent on beefing up his current machine's RAM, IMO.

I have been using Vista on a 2.17GHz single core with 2.5GB of PC2700 (DDR1/333MHz) and it runs like an absolute dog, even with the aerocrap disabled and the Windows set to "performance").............it is the processor that is the problem.

On the other hand, I currently have XP Home running on a desktop with an AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.8GHz) and 1GB of PC2100 (DDR1/266MHz), so the specs are similar, and it runs just fine. My view is that the V2000 has reached the end of its evolutionary branch in that department.

It would be a good platform to mess with *nix distros though, as they tend to be way less demanding on the hardware front than Vista or 7.

Last edited by nihil; September 12th, 2011 at 03:50 PM.

I learn alot from you guys, man. I appreciate it.

It would be a good platform to mess with *nix distros though, as they tend to be way less demanding on the hardware front than Vista or 7.
    I was thinking the same thing, Im running Ubuntu through a VM on the lappie I use now and was thinking about putting a distro thats a bit more advanced on this one when I get it going.

we are assuming it to be a lappie ??
    so the other options of adding additional HDD's and setting them as a mirror / RAID 5 to create a file server are not going to be an option here really
    It is a lappie, and what you're saying is really too bad as that is exactly one of the options I was thinking about exploring. Either trying to set it up as an FTP server (something I've never done and don't even know if is possible, but would tackle for the learning experience alone), a single or dual site web server, or 'RAIDing' it with my primary use machine, or 1-2 of these lol.

Would you mind going into the limitations of these possibillities a bit more? Why you say its not an option here, or if there are just alot of obstacles to overcome to accomplish it.

Thanks
    Last edited by IcSilk; September 12th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    Would you mind going into the limitations of these possibillities a bit more? Why you say its not an option here, or if there are just alot of obstacles to overcome to accomplish it.

Thanks
    to get a RAID set up, you require additional HDD's adding into the box. Now, on a desktop / tower, you will have aome room to move, and a wiring setup that can handle additional HDD's too.

BUT
    lappie is restricted on room, as in, NO ROOM
    so not able to attach additional HDD's inside box

RAID is a way to build in redundancy into your system
    RAID 5 requires at least THREE HDD's, and works by striping data over each HDD so that each disc will contain 2 parts data, and one part parity data, so if you lose a drive, you swap it out, add a new -IDENTICAL DRIVE] into the unit, and re-initialize drive, then system will re-write the lost data back onto new drive, so you get you data protected

short version I know, but Google for RAID and there are a LOT of pages to read

as a lappie you are stuck with basic options
    and of those, the test bed is probably the best one to use
    after you add a new drive natch :P

if you REALLY want to play with file server / FTP
    then save up
    use a site like ebuyer.com [UK based that one]
    and buy a PC in bits
    use the 80 / 20 mark
    so you NEVER buy this years big boy on the block
    but get LAST years
    will give 80% of performance for about 20% of cost

NOW you can go wild, would advise a Linux server option, unless you can get an MS NOS [Network Operating System] W2K3 onwards
    and set the box up as a file server / print server / FTP
    have OS mirrored to allow for redundancy / security there
    and implement RAID 5 for DATA
    I used 3 500GB drives to give me a 1TB data store

mind you, I also lost a drive, and on installing new drive, where it said "do you want to DELETE data" I said yep
    so maybe double check my ideas elsewhere too

NOW you will have a box to play with
    with sufficient space to store plenty of data
    and getting a DYNDNS account will allow for FTP too

DYNDNS as you will probably have a dynamic IP, so it will change, setting up a DYNDNS account, they will poll your system, and update the IP address, now when you want to FTP, you go through DYNDNS, and they will provide the correct path

have fun
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

In my opinion, once you've taken Foxy's advice, and have this thing rolling again, why not go and get something new to toy with? If you have an Acer now or whatever it was you said so you have all the things you needed before and this is going to be a toy to play with afterward, I'd say to grab yourself FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE, and install it.

I currently have been using the Net Install CD ISO, as it's very nice, and I like it. Basically, you grab the ISO image, burn it to CD, then, you boot from the CD after making sure that your BIOS supports doing that (anything made even close to recently does) and then, once you have booted, you can use my tutorial to install FreeBSD, or, you can read the Docs from the FreeBSD Documentation Project to install it, and, remember when it says "Would you like to install the Ports Collection?" say yes. When it asks if you'd like to look at the Ports / Packages, say NO!

Wait until you have the OS booted up to install anything else extra.

Basically, once you have FreeBSD booted up, and you log in as root, THEN install some Ports. And, if you'd like, you can run this command as root:

pkg_add -r xorg enlightenment kde gnome fvwm xterm Eterm windowmaker

You can add way more than that, but it shows you how awesome the Packaging System in FreeBSD is; You type that command, and the -r flag basically says to try grabbing the software, AND all dependencies for it, and install them from one of the FreeBSD FTP Servers.

You can also do this:

Once you have FreeBSD installed, and you've logged in as root, which, by the way, make sure to do this:

CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch to TTYV1 as the first one you see will display system messages, and you don't want that in your shell. So once you have that done and you've logged in as root, type this:

sysinstall

You'll see a Text User Interface, and it's what you used to install FreeBSD.

The cool thing, is that you can now go to "Configure" where it says to do post installation configuration or whatever, and then, select Packages, and hit Enter.

Once you've waited a few minutes for it to read the Data, you'll see a list of Categories of Ports. Using the Arrow Keys, you can look through the list, and, when you get to something you want to look at, you hit ENTER, and you can use the Spacebar key to select Ports / Software Packages you'd like to install.

It automatically will select Dependencies as well. When you're done, you use the Left and Right Arrow keys to select install, and it shows you what you're installing, and then asks which way to install. Select FTP Server, and it shows a list of them. Select whichever one you'd like, and if you've got the Network Set Up done from the Installation, it will tell you that you've already done so and if you'd like to skip, so you say yes to that, it logs in, and start downloading and installing everything.

It's awesome.

yeah yeah. I've learnt alot and developed alot of new ideas through this thread. It'll be awhile until I can get a new HDD worth getting. In that time I'll be able to get up to par on hardware knowledge and Unix. I'll probably be able to use a more complex *nix distro by the time it comes to install something on this machine.

Im thinking I might try to get a tower and use the old lappie as the access terminal (AT) to it. I live in a college town so I may be able to come across something useable that was discarded as junk. I'd learn alot by fixing (or attempting to fix) something like that up.
    Now if I went that route, I wouldn't actually need a HDD for the lappie, right?? Just remove the old HDD from the HP and use an access cable to join HP to tower.

Im on it, thanks again to everyone who responded.

EDIT: I was just on craigslist browsing in the computer section and I got thinking/conceptualizing. Really, if I had a complete tower unit I wouldn't need anything inside the HP lappie at all. then I was thinking about what kind of drivers would need to be installed in order to use the HP as an AT.
    Im really excited about this, I have alot of freetime and have been looking for a project - not just any time killling project but a productive one.
    Last edited by IcSilk; September 13th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.

Well, one reason I said FreeBSD, is that it's not a clone of Unix, it's a version. Even though the Lawyers would scream at you for saying it, the fact is, BSD has more rights than System V to be called Unix, not just technically, but Historically. But since AT&T and SCO are douche bags, you can't "call it that". Lol.

FreeBSD is not only a real Unix, it's awesome. I've been toying with it, using it, and setting up machines with it as a Server since FreeBSD 4.0 in 2000. I think 4.0 came out in 1999, but I didn't get it right away as I didn't have a Computer until late 1999. I got my first Computer in VERY late 1999. In fact, it was almost 2000 when I did.

I just got into BSD fast. I'm still a Linux user too, but really, everyone uses Linux these days, and even though I do too; If I was gonna set up a machine where I didn't have more than one to do it with, I'd for with FreeBSD for now. Or I'd set up FreeBSD and Linux as a dual boot situation.

BSD is a great OS. I started with it in 1977. Alas, I've forgotten most of it since alpha testing NT IIRC 1992. I've used NT server versions exclusively until Windows 7 was released.