Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old HP Compaq

Dude WTF is wrong with you? You left BSD for NT?

....OK, I now command you to download SOME version of BSD.... Say, FreeBSD, since it's what I use, or even PC-BSD, since I use that too, and install it.... And don't come back to me until you're set up!

Well what can I say other than MS paid good money for me to test NT. When I built my current Supermicro box (8 Xeon cores w/16GB mem and a 4 TB array) a few years ago I had every intention of running multiple virtual machines including NT, BSD and CentOS. Alas the plan fell apart because I forgot most of what I knew about BSD and I couldn't get an I2C driver working on BSD, a critical requirement. I found NT applications to substitute for the BSD and CentOS applications I planned on running and kept the box on Win2k3 until Win7 x64 was available.

I know, I know I succumbed to the dark side but it is too late to go back.
    Last edited by ua549; September 14th, 2011 at 12:16 AM.

Im thinking I might try to get a tower and use the old lappie as the access terminal (AT) to it. I live in a college town so I may be able to come across something useable that was discarded as junk. I'd learn alot by fixing (or attempting to fix) something like that up.
    Now if I went that route, I wouldn't actually need a HDD for the lappie, right?? Just remove the old HDD from the HP and use an access cable to join HP to tower.
    Probably not as easy as it sounds. It is a computer and will likely need to be booted from something to work..........a live CD perhaps? For the sake of a new HDD it sounds like a waste of a perfectly good laptop?

I am not familiar with the V2000, but you might be able to get an expansion base for it? They vary but as a minimum you generally get an extra battery and HDD compartment. Given that the PC usually dies first you might be able to pick one up cheap?

Another possibility would depend on your BIOS. If it supports booting from an external USB drive you could get a drive caddy/docking station and boot from any 3.5" or 2.5" drive. I bought a used 160GB 7200rpm Seagate from a local store for £8. It has a 1 year warranty.

EDIT:

You might also be able to get a used 60~80GB drive pretty cheap. People do upgrade laptop drives and, as they only have room for one drive it means that there will be a spare drive going cheap.
    Last edited by nihil; September 14th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Well what can I say other than MS paid good money for me to test NT. When I built my current Supermicro box (8 Xeon cores w/16GB mem and a 4 TB array) a few years ago I had every intention of running multiple virtual machines including NT, BSD and CentOS. Alas the plan fell apart because I forgot most of what I knew about BSD and I couldn't get an I2C driver working on BSD, a critical requirement. I found NT applications to substitute for the BSD and CentOS applications I planned on running and kept the box on Win2k3 until Win7 x64 was available.

I know, I know I succumbed to the dark side but it is too late to go back.
    It's never to late. Besides, what's stopping you from buying some cheap PC that's really low end / old, and running it on there? My FTP Server is the first Computer I ever bought, which is a Pentium 3 733 MHz, and it came with 128 MBs of RAM which I upgraded to 384 MBs of RAM, and a 43 GB HD came with it, and I installed one that's 120 GBs too and made that the root Partition.

I also had my Mom's old 433 MHz Celeron running it too. It still runs on a 486 too.

I'm down sizing these days, not adding new boxes. That was one of the reasons for moving to virtual machines years ago. I'm down to a single machine of each type - server, workstation and desktop plus 2 notebooks. All are running applications 24/7/365.

We have 11 machines right now, but really, only two or three are powerful. Most of them are pretty much test machines. The two laptops are good, and then my Desktop is decent, and my Wife has the machine She uses normally which is really good and Water cooled, and then She has two other Desktops that are pretty decent too, and then the rest are older machines of mine that I test stuff on.

My main machine uses Windows 7 and Slackware, and my Wife's stuff is basically the same. The rest though, we use mostly either Linux or BSD.

You must have lots of space for that many machines. All I have is a 5' x 5' closet I call my comm closet. It contains the DSU/CSU, router, patch panel, switches, etc. It is full.

Yea, we have a three bedroom House, and it's just my Wife and I living in it, so we have one room just for machines and stuff with our desks in it, and the closet is walk in, so we put book shelves in there and made a Library out of it. The other bedroom has a bed and we use as a spare. So we have quite a bit of space dedicated to these.

I have a 3/2/2 2300 sq ft house. My office is about 160 sq ft including the comm closet. With a desk, a couple of chairs, a table and a bar there isn't room for much more. I have a notebook on the desk and a workstation positioned by one of the easy chairs. A 4 drawer legal size secure and fire rated file cabinet (huge) is in the closet along with most of my technical books. The books are rapidly getting out of date and won't be replaced. After all who cares about the internals code for old MS software? Most of my newer books reside on the 4 TB array.

As I approach 70, I find that things that were once important during my career no longer have that status (I retired in 1998). That's why I'm down sizing. Technology moves on. I can do today with a small box that once required a rented space with 5 or 10 tons of A/C. Back in the 80's I had a personal mainframe with 3 phase power and the bills to match.

Heh, when I was college, I started out taking the higher up Computer Science classes, since the College tested me and said anything with the word intro in it would be boring and a waste of time, and in my second or third semester, I met a Student who was about your age.

His name is Bill, and he was in my Security+ class, my TCP/IP class along with the System Admin of the school, and he was in another one with me, and we were sitting near each other, so when we had a project in one class, he ended up being part of my group.

Turned out he was a Systems Coder from way back, and his job, was writing code for Processors. So to see him in a class at all seemed weird to me because writing Processor code, is pretty damned high up there. I asked him what he used at work, and he started talking about his BSD based workstation. I told him I used BSD too, and he thought I was kidding.

He'd never really used anything open source or free, and so he had no idea that people not only still used BSD, but that you could get it freely. I said that I used FreeBSD at home, and that it was based on 4.4 BSD-Lite from the CSRG at the University of California at Berkeley, and that the Lawsuits and stuff were long over, and it was freely available now.

He again, didn't think I was serious, so I said I could install something for him. I ended up installing Slackware for him at school one day after we both aced our exams in 15 minutes, and GOD did we ever have fun. We used to have a "friendly" competition on who could get a better grade, and whenever one of us got ANY question wrong, we ripped each other apart.

I remember tearing into him once because he got a question wrong on a mid term, and he said "Hey the info was there it was just not worded right" lol. But we had a pretty good time, and the next semester, he was teaching some classes, so I took one.

He was amazed to see that even though I could do Binary in my head, I always screwed up Hex because of the Division, and how bad I am at normal Math. Like, I can't do division at all. I can do addition, subtraction, and Multiplication, but anything else, like Division, or Fractions, and I'm out.

He thought it was funny that someone like me who could do Binary in his head, couldn't do simple Division. The other teachers used to have a "joke" about me; Right before the Final Exam, one teacher would always come up to my desk, and grab the book for that class from me, and tell everyone "quiet everyone!" and then open my book real slow and say "See, that's that sound a book makes when it's opened for the first time!" It was pretty funny I guess, I mean they knew I didn't read the books or study, which is why I was allowed to do whatever I wanted most of the time.

In my Security + class I basically helped teach it and had more than 100% in the class because of all the extra credit. My teacher said I could have skipped the final and still gotten an A.

But yea, Bill is really funny, and he's like almost 80 now, and still teaches. My Cousin has him now, and once they found out he was my cousin, they were scared lol. I still see one of them now and then, and he says he uses me in the Security + class as an example a lot, and talks about how I used to help out and kinda mess around sometimes, and, FTP into the Printer and made it print over FTP, which was useful because the Linux+ class couldn't print so they started using my FTP trick, and it worked.

I have almost 3 Gigs of books on this machines, and I have... Basically every BSD book from freebsdmall, and a bunch of Linux and Security books. I buy them whenever I can.

My Wife got me "a Quarter Century of Unix" for I think Christmas like a year or two ago, and I Loved that, especially the BSD stuff. I'm biased.