Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old HP Compaq

I have a 3/2/2 2300 sq ft house.
    ua549.................you need a larger house

with 3 phase power and the bills to match.
    Were you using 415v like we did over here?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    America uses a different voltage to us
    110v IIRC
    so the 3 phase will be a spread of that
    about 200v across any two, again IIRC

we have 240v single phase
    = 415 v across any two
    all to do with phase angles when generating the stuff :P
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

It was 240v delta power. The US also uses 240v wye power.

OK, I have to know:

You told me that you had been working with BSD since '77, which, I personally find awesome, but have you ever used any other non-PC based stuff? For example, if I EVER won the Lotto, and I had LOTS of money, I know that I'd be doing a huge upgrade of my "Tech Room" along the following lines:

I'd expand the room, adding more desks and so on. Get a nice sized UPS and Generator so I could keep going during a Power Outtage, and, I'd be doing some major upgrades on Hardware:

First and foremost, I'd buy some SGI Workstations and Servers. SGI makes my Dream Machines. I can't even think of a Computer I'd LOVE to own more than an SGI.

I'd buy an Altix Server for sure, and Workstation, but I'd REALLY love to have some of the older Workstations and Servers. In Particular; I get a nerd boner every time I see an SGI Workstation on Ebay that has IRIX. I know that SGI isn't exactly doing IRIX at all now, and that mostly they seem to have gone for Linux, but I can run Linux on a PC, so, I'd want at least a few machines with IRIX on them.

I mean yea, I like Linux and all, but, if I had the cash to do it, I'd be getting myself some really nice SGI Workstations running IRIX, and drool. A lot.

The next thing on my list would be a couple Alpha Workstations. I'd like them running Tru64. I'd also get some Suns; A server, and two, maybe three Workstations. Each OS.....

What I mean, is that I'd buy some Sun stuff, but, again, I'd want at least a few running SunOS instead of Solaris. Solaris is great and all, but, really, I'd really prefer to have some SunOS Workstations. Solaris is based on System V, where SunOS is BSD.

Also, my Wife, LOVES Sun. Sun is to my Wife, what SGI is to me; Her dream machine.

Once I had that stuff done, I'd set up a REAL FTP Server; The HP Pavilion PC, which is the very first Computer I ever bought, has 384 MBs of RAM, a 43 GB HD, and it's getting dated with it's Pentium 3 733 MHz Processor. It also has just shy of 200 GB of disk in it, which isn't enough.

I'd buy a REAL Server for that. I'd want a couple TBs of Disk, maybe 4 GBs of RAM (I don't really need much considering I don't even use a GUI on my Server... It doesn't need that.)

Anyway, that's what I'd do. Other than buying a better router. And of course some new PCs. I'd LOVE to have a nice machine I can play games on. I'm not a gamer by any means, but I did wet myself seeing a 12 GB Nvidia card.

And of course; Having nice speedy PCs for FreeBSD, Slackware, SUSE, and Debian.

@IcSilk,

Hi there, can we have an update please............have you decided what to do with the old laptop yet?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    have you decided what to do with the old laptop yet?
    I reckon he BINNED it
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone