Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Unknown Windows OS?

Hi Cider,

This is the 32bit machine, and it is running just fine as I mentioned before. I would say that it is equal in performance to the same rig with XP Pro, and infinitely superior to Vista, which didn't like this outfit at all for some reason.

I do have those widgets or gadgets enabled............. the two tachometer type dials to show me CPU and RAM usage.

I am very impressed in the way that Windows 8 handles memory management. This machine has 1.5GB of RAM and is using 36% at the moment, and that's with running the Microsoft security, Teatimer, Avira, and WinPatrol.

Best part is, that it releases the memory after .......... Hell! it does the best job of keeping the FireFox memory sow under control that I have seen so far!!!

Now, a slight caveat here as this is 32bit. All I have for comparison is Vista and XP. It certainly outperforms those in this area. The Vista box has 4GB of RAM, of which I think that it "sees" 3.5. It let the memory sow take it up to 52% RAM usage without much else happening

As for your work, maybe there is a case for a licence, as it does seem to be aimed at the PC ~ sub-PC (touchscreen device) interface? I wouldn't give it to regular static office workers though, as I believe that there will be a pretty seamless interface with Windows 7, given that they seem to be so similar.

I guess we will have a lot of our questions answered with the public beta.

Cheers

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    ! it does the best job of keeping the FireFox memory sow under control that I have seen so far!!!
    Can you elaborate with this? This has always been an issue for me, oh yes and skype! First off I have an issue with the seperate processes running and the high volume! Chrome example but you can see what I mean . Skype is just a pure memory leak IMO.

chrome.exe 5060 3.89 73,340 K 95,064 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 5140 1.17 85,428 K 98,612 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 5180 0.51 30,104 K 41,768 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 5188 55,852 K 68,948 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 4128 10,328 K 20,332 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 5168 19,572 K 30,208 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 5348 10,940 K 21,172 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    chrome.exe 5572 1.50 18,560 K 22,148 K Google Chrome Google Inc.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

O.K. some of it will have to wait until tomorrow when I get the 32 bit Windows 8 box back online.

Right now I have just loaded Chrome onto the #1 64 bit box (3.4GHz quad core with 8GB DDR3/1600MHz). I have opened 4 windows in both Chrome and FF. These are the results:

Chrome - 150.3MB

FF - 176.9MB

Total RAM usage = 18% (1475MB)

TBH I don't expect to see anything significant on this box, given that it has 8GB of RAM. If the memory manager was cutting in now, I would say that it was micromanaging, which would be a bad thing, as I bought the memory to use, not to look at.

The interesting thing will be the legacy 32 bit machine, as it only has 1536MB of RAM. It seemed to be holding that at around the 40% usage mark with FF getting about 65MB. That's basically idle with various apps open.

In that situation, FF does still seem to leak over time. I have just rechecked and FF had increased by 3.7MB as opposed to Chrome's 1MB.

I have an XP Pro and XP Home box going at the moment.

XP Home (1024MB RAM) FF is using 130.9MB

XP Pro (2560MB RAM) FF is using 129.1MB

Interesting that there is no difference despite the large disparity in available RAM. Also that FF is using around twice as much RAM as the 32bit Windows 8 box allowed it.

It seems as if Windows 8 is trying to fit itself into its environment? I don't know if Windows 7 does this? and I know that Vista certainly does not!

I shall have to investigate further........................