Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kindle VS hardcover

Instead of getting locked into one platform via a Kindle I would highly suggest looking to an Android based tablet because then you can get access to the Kindle store, Nook (Barnes and Noble) as well as Google Books. It might be a bit more expensive but having that kind of an option seems too good to pass up to me and kind of makes me regret buying my Nook Color a few months back
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Battery life is one reason to stay away from a tablet unless one needs other functions besides book reading capabilities.
    I can read books on my Android cell phone, but it is not worth the hassle. It has to be charged twice a day as it is.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Battery life is one reason to stay away from a tablet unless one needs other functions besides book reading capabilities.
    I can read books on my Android cell phone, but it is not worth the hassle. It has to be charged twice a day as it is.
    On my A500 i get roughly 8+ hrs worth of battery life, longer when it sit's in standyby mode.

My new galaxy tablet get's just under 8hrs worth of battery life inbetween charges also.

i would imagine cell phones would have shorter battery life compared to tablet's...

would be very suprised if people would actually sit and read any ebooks non stop over that 8hr period? without access to any type of charging outlet's.

A middle of the road option would be to go with the Nook since its known to be rootable, giving you full access to the Android OS its built upon so you can install apps. Its not quite as streamlined as jailbreaking apple devices, but if you are willing to do it its probably the cheapest tablet you can get.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Im really looking for something that I can import my PDF's too. Got alot of PDF ebooks so it doesnt have to be the kindle. I was looking at the Sony Ereader but it seems somewhat more expensive??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by Syini666 View Post
    A middle of the road option would be to go with the Nook since its known to be rootable, giving you full access to the Android OS its built upon so you can install apps. Its not quite as streamlined as jailbreaking apple devices, but if you are willing to do it its probably the cheapest tablet you can get.
    Gingerbreak is the easiest method to "jailbreak / root" android device's. This then let's you grab 1 of the freely available custom roms available and further customize the device, enabling further power saving features etc.

Android is easy to root, a single click. I've changed the kernel and rom dozens of times on my Galaxy S. Now I have good performance with much longer battery life, better modem and a better GPS (it still stinks) than anything AT&T ever offered. Still, the best I've ever gotten is 5 hours on a battery unless I stop using it and let it idle. I carry an extra battery since I'm rarely able to recharge until the end of the day.

AFAIK Jailbreaking Apple devices is merely a workaround the lock that remains whereas an Android device is actually unlocked as if it came unlocked from manufacturing. Software updates won't re-lock the device as they do with Apple devices.

The biggest reason I won't buy an Apple device is because they don't have a replaceable battery.
    I'd need 2 or 3 of them to get me through the day.

/rant

Going back to the original subject of this thread.
    Though Im oldschool in that I like the feel and smell of paper, I have to say I really like Kindles. I have one DLed to my pc and one on my Droid and am looking into getting the actually unit in the future.

The portability is the best thing and the ease at which you can add new volumes.
    You can easily read PDFs on there, as I saw that was a concern of yours.
    I also like that it 'flattens' out the screen lighting, making it much easier on the eyes than reading PDFs through AReader.
    My number 1 fave thing though is that of the highlight/note/lookup right click feature and that you can see what sections have been highlighted or noted by other readers of the same book, I find that really helpful.

You can always pick up a paper book anytime, but digital information is too convenient and efficient to overlook IMO.

Blessings,
    F
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    Going back to the original subject of this thread.
    Though Im oldschool in that I like the feel and smell of paper, I have to say I really like Kindles. I have one DLed to my pc and one on my Droid and am looking into getting the actually unit in the future.

The portability is the best thing and the ease at which you can add new volumes.
    You can easily read PDFs on there, as I saw that was a concern of yours.
    I also like that it 'flattens' out the screen lighting, making it much easier on the eyes than reading PDFs through AReader.
    My number 1 fave thing though is that of the highlight/note/lookup right click feature and that you can see what sections have been highlighted or noted by other readers of the same book, I find that really helpful.

You can always pick up a paper book anytime, but digital information is too convenient and efficient to overlook IMO.

Blessings,
    F
    Hey there,

Thanks for the input ~ you say that you can put PDF's on there, is this normal download a PDF and drop it on, no converting?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hey there,

Thanks for the input ~ you say that you can put PDF's on there, is this normal download a PDF and drop it on, no converting?
    Yeah, I didn't convert. But you have to remember that I am talking about Kindle for PC, not the handheld single units (you still may be able to with them but I don't know because Im waiting for the Fire)

I believe all I did was set Kindle as the default app for PDF's. They can still be opened with AReader easily enough too, but in Windows its just the extra step of right clicking -> open with etc etc.

I just synced my 'droid kindle and the ex-PDF's that I have actually moved to the library of my PC kindle did not sync to my phone's kindle app. I don't know what that means for them with the actually kindle unit and moving them over or not.

But I know for sure that there is no converting as far as the PC kindle is concerned.

Happy reading, hope I helped you somehow
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily