Thread: Put a computer on sleep by keyboard from the welcome screen

Hybrid View

Put a computer on sleep by keyboard from the welcome screen

So I have this guy who sits next to me and his computer's fan makes a lot of noise (it's not an unnatural noise to conclude there's something wrong it's like hhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I don't know how to describe but it's really on my nerves)

and we don't shut down our PCs usually so he just either switches the user or locks the computer and leaves ... he's the only user BTW

a few months ago I changed the settings of his PC to go to sleep after 10min...I don't know what happens but all of a sudden it starts working like the fan starts working I doubt if he connects remotely cause he doesn't know how to but now my questions are two:
    1- do you have any idea why the fan starts working when it's supposed to not?
    2- is there any way I can put it on sleep by the keyboard from the welcome screen where he enters his password to login?

Please help.
    Thanks

PS. He has DELL Precision T7400
    Last edited by boyboy400; November 5th, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

HYBR|D
    pull the power cord, & problem solved.

it's probably waking from sleep from either keyboard or mouse movement, that setting can be enabled/disabled directly through the BIOS.

Now you did not say what Operating System but on most Windows when on the welcome screen / user switching screen there should be a cancel option or even switch user option, click either 1 and on the bottom left or right you should see shut down options.

pull the power cord, & problem solved.
    Yeah! then you can blame the office cleaners

Do you have a similar machine in your offices and if so does the fan make the same noise? I generally take the view that if the fans are annoying then there is something wrong or very soon will be.

it's probably waking from sleep from either keyboard or mouse movement, that setting can be enabled/disabled directly through the BIOS.
    In which case there is so much damned vibration in the office I don't think that their HDDs will last very long?.....................maybe there's a ghost in the machine?

Does the screen power up when the fan does? Like, has it really woken up or is it just the fans?

I am thinking that in sleep mode the machine will still be monitoring temperatures, and that may kick the fans off? I know that should not happen but the sensors can lie, or your thermal solution might be failing

I would suggest getting SpeedFan and CPUID HWMonitor and see what temperatures it is reporting.

If you have fan control in the BIOS try setting it to full power and see if you get the same noise.............if you do then I would recommend removing the heatsink(s) and fan(s) cleaning the heatsink base(s) and processor(s) and re-applying thermal compound (I use Arctic MX3).

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    My fans on auto in BIOS make a full on racket, basically unworkable. I dropped it around too 80 % and its quiet optimal. Also check for fan controls such as optimal, silent, performance mode etc. This is an office machine so I dont know.

As said, try speed fan, although my experience with speedfan is not very good. Also run coretemp to double check your temperatures.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

As said, try speed fan, although my experience with speedfan is not very good.
    GOOD POINT!

I was only suggesting to use it to see what temps were being reported................. I wouldn't use it to automatically control fans, as it still gets far too much wrong to gain my trust and confidence. That's why I always use CPUID's hardware monitor as a cross check

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    and don't forget dust bunnies
    the other reason a fan spins up is heat build up
    and if PC is 'idle' and still spins up
    it is a reasonable conclusion to assume PC may well be a touch dusty internally

clean and clear PC
    and I would set fan speed in BIOS to a lower standard setting too
    it will still go nuts when under load
    but you may be able to cope if idle speed is reduced
    AND PC is cleared too natch :P
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone