Thread: switching

switching

Im just trying to simply open some kind of discussion here. I know that when people start drinking, smoking .. whatever - and get to flicking through forums they can come up with some pretty interesting and sometimes ingenious insights.

I was looking at this diagram and trying to evaluate its meaning (see attachment).
    Mostly what I got from it was the savings in time and transmission capacity in Packet Switched, connectionless modes compared to circuit switched or packet switched, connect-oriented. Where the vertical span of the 3 packets equals the vertical span of the one big packet in the others and the setting of the connection and the clearing of the connection utilize the extra transmission time and transmission capacity.

the arbitrary transmission of packets in pack switched, connectionless mode save the system from this extra 'work'.

I would love to hear what others have to say about this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

HYBR|D
    Late reply, but if your able to, could you make the attachement bigger? For the life of me i cannot read a thing on it.

to bypass the restrictions save it as .jpg

Communications are suited to a specific type of packet protocol. Each has advantages and disadvantages. IMO the biggest drawback to connectionless technologies is the possibility of out of order delivery, mis-delivery and other undesired outcomes. In the OSI model at the transport layer TCP is connection oriented and UDP is connectionless.

Circuit switched technology is fast becoming outdated. It is mainly used on a telephone system between a dialup device and the origination central office and again between the destination central office and the destination device. The central offices use packet technology on the backbone. POTS and ISDN are examples of circuit switched services.

ua; You'd remember this since, as far as I know, you're one of the oldest people here: When I got my first PC, Broadband was becoming popular, and at the time, you could still download NetZero and some other "Free ISPs" that were supported by ads and such.

I still remember by buddy Toby telling me "Hey man, I cracked NetZero and took the ads out, do you want a copy?" And me saying no. I had 3 ISPs at the time; AOL, MSN, and Prodigy. I dumped the first two.

Even that early behind us, people were looking for a free way to get online, and some of our "Fore Fathers" of Hacking, were doing so to get online at all. I consider myself a History nerd. I have ads from the 50s-1990s for Computer stuff saved on Computers here because it's interesting to see a Modem costing MORE than a Laptop does now.

And with every Company on the Planet, from McDonald's to Book stores, offering "Free Wifi!" everywhere, it amazes me even now that people would pay for POTS anything.....

I mean I personally remember telling myself when I first began my Computer Science learning expedition that "Well, with Dial Up, my IP changes, and that's a good thing!" but in reality, I wanted Cable.

I didn't like DSL because I still don't like Phone Companies. Being that I got pretty heavy into Phreaking back in the day, it wasn't that I wanted to steal calls or commit fraud, though I'm not going to pretend I didn't ever do that; Now that the Statute of Limitations is up on a lot of this:

I'll freely admit that I once wanted to do to AT&T what American Thieves and Thugs did to America; Rip everyone off. I did seem to have a knack for Phreaking for some reason and I Honestly don't know why, but I could Red Box calls, which I only did a few times to see that they worked AFTER "They fixed pay phones".... And mostly, I liked to tap them.

I found it interesting that a basic scanner you can buy at K-Mart to listen to Police and other bands, would pick up phone calls so easily! I remember being younger and having no Computer, and listening to Phone Calls made by people with family who were astounded that I could listen in on phone calls with nothing but a Scanner and some know how.

This was like 5 years before I even had a Computer. AT&T only really has one thing going for them; Unix. Besides that, they're ****. I can't stand AT&T, and took pleasure in saying "American Thieves and Thugs".

Besides; Alexander Graham Bell, did NOT invent the Telephone. Even Congress recognizes this. He did do a lot of Cocaine, which who can blame him? It was cheap legal, and everywhere in those days. I'd be lying my ass off to you if I said "I would not look like Al Pacino in the remake of Scarface!" lol. I'd be powdering my nose too if I could get away with it.

BTW:

I'm not lying about Bell; He didn't Invent the Telephone. An Italian did.

Yea, yea, everyone knows that Guglielmo Marconi invented the telephone and much, much more.

I had the very first DSL line in the Tampa Bay area offered by General Telephone (now Verizon). At that time I had a 30 pair cable coming into my house. That blew away the techs installing the DSL. I had several 4 wire leased circuits on local loops and a T1 to AT&T with frame relay on it going to ...

That said my neighbor has had a T3 going into Fort Meade for many years. I wonder if he has upgraded without telling me. <envy>

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Yea, yea, everyone knows that Guglielmo Marconi invented the telephone and much, much more.

I had the very first DSL line in the Tampa Bay area offered by General Telephone (now Verizon). At that time I had a 30 pair cable coming into my house. That blew away the techs installing the DSL. I had several 4 wire leased circuits on local loops and a T1 to AT&T with frame relay on it going to ...

That said my neighbor has had a T3 going into Fort Meade for many years. I wonder if he has upgraded without telling me. <envy>
    Holy **** man! That's some serious pipe! I don't have anything near that.... I have a Cable Modem. Heh.... I DO however, have ONE very VERY good friend who works for our govt, and has an OC line to play with at work.

Yes, I drooled..... An OC line... A REAL OC line.... MAN the **** I could do! I could play Pong like 500 times per second! Lol. (Really I don't even know what I'd do with that kind of Bandwidth, but what I do know, is within a day or two I'd figure SOMETHING out lol).

EDIT:

Fort Meade? Mmmmmmmm. OK, Now I'M Envy like. I know what that place is, and what isn't to far from it. There's some incredibly, INCREDIBLY skillful people, who work not to far from there. If what you told me about your previous job is 100&#37; accurate, that's all I'll have to say to you to make you understand who I'm talking about
    Last edited by gore; December 13th, 2011 at 03:23 AM.