Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Screen of Death

Wink Blue Screen of Death

Dear esteemed members of Antionline community,

Yet again I'm in dire need of your expertise to solve a crisis which Microsoft has caused maybe for world domination.

Whenever I run bittorrent, after few minutes my laptop crashes and shows blue screen saying blah blah! NETIO.SYS blah blah! I can't read all and then reboots.

I'm running Win 7 Professional.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

HYBR|D
    Does it only BSOD when loading bittorent?

What are the temperature's running at? download and run http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

my google kingfu is saying this could be a temperature related issue.

Look in the system event log for the stop code. It is in the form of stop: 0x00000000. Then search on it in the MS Knowledgebase for causes, workarounds and fixes.

Automatic rebooting can be turned off in the computer properties dialog.

Hi,

I would also suggest SpeedFan, as it continually displays in the system tray at a size that us old folks can read

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

OK overheating can cause all sorts of problems, but you specifically mention NETIO.SYS which points to networking?

I appreciate that your bittorrent app is loading the system and could provoke a heat issue issue without being of itself to blame. However I am inclined to call drivers/resources/applications conflicts on this one.

If your stop code is 0xD1 (and the rest), then it is almost certainly a driver issue.

Are you running Norton (Symantec) or ZoneAlarm security products? They have been known to cause conflicts and crashes like this in certain circumstances.

If it is network/internet related there might be some sort of issue with your wireless/LAN/NIC drivers and Windows 7 or a security application?

I would suggest that you go to your Laptop manufacturer's site and make sure that you have the latest Windows 7 drivers for your model.

Smile

@HYBR|D : It BSODs after running bittorrent for some time. I checked the temperature to be 48 deg C just before BSOD.

@ua549 : The keywords of system event log is 0x8000000000000002. Please tell me what to do next.

Thanks

@nihil : Updated all drivers from Acer's website for my Aspire 5755 laptop. Problem persists. Please suggest. I'm just having Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Last edited by princesheril; November 23rd, 2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Missed something

There are too many digits in the stop code.
    It has a form factor of 0x followed by eight digits - 0x01234567.
    The numbers in parentheses can be ignored for now.
    This article and software will help you.

@ua549 : Whocrashed analysed as follows:-

46 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

mfenlfk.sys (McAfee NDIS Light Filter Driver, McAfee, Inc.)

I found that McAfee was there in installed programs list and immediately uninstalled it.

The problem is fixed. Thank you so much for your help.

Forever in your debt.

Regards

Oh Noes!

It crashed again...

Whocrashed reports:

On Wed 11/23/2011 3:30:05 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112311-14227-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001611B2D)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Please advice what should I do next.

Hey ua549, that's a great link!.............. now I have a pile of toys to play with at the weekend I see that they are an Italian outfit, but I must admit that I had never even heard of them.

If the error is 0x80000002 then it is a weird one, as that is usually something you come across in the coding/development environment? or it used to be. I think that it can mean "Out Of Memory" or some sort of datatype mis-match.

Neither of those seemed to fit this situation..............anyways props to ua549 for suggesting the tool that solved the issue

Glad you have the issue resolved princesheril

Sorry that I wasn't of much help, but I did get quite close when I called drivers and security software............."two out of three ain't bad"

I would guess that the McAfee was a leftover of the bloatware trial versions of applications that are usually bundled with brand name computers these days...............I think that mine had Norton (for a few milliseconds )

Cheers