Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duplicate folder with exe extention of 300kb size each

duplicate folder with exe extention of 300kb size each

Hello guys,

Here is a problem in my computer

I want to explain it

1- here is one folder with the name "moon" in my d: drive.
    2- another folder has been automatically created inside this "moon" folder with the name of "moon.exe" and its size is 300 kb (fixed for all duplicate folders.)
    3- this is the situation with all my folder on d: and e: drive of my computer that all folders have been duplicated with exe extention and the size is 300kb each of duplicated folder.
    4- c: drive is ok because i have installed a fresh copy of window on it.

Please tell me if it is dangerous for my hard disk data or not.
    Any help will be very much appreciated

Hi there poppy 123,

Unfortunately what you are describing are classic symptoms of a virus infection. There have been numerous examples of them showing this sort of behaviour over the last 5 years to my knowledge.

I would submit an example to VirusTotal so that we can find out what exactly it is that has infected you.

Link is below, just follow the instructions for the "upload a file" option

http://www.virustotal.com/

You might get the latest updates for your antivirus and run an in depth scan in safe mode.

I would also disable autorun/autoplay for all drives and disable simple file sharing if you have it enabled.

Please let us know what VirusTotal report.

Thanks nihil, I have uploaded dupilcate executeable folder but virus total is not showing any report

Just out of curiosity... you should download a windows add-on called hash-tab: http://www.implbits.com/hashtab.aspx -- it adds a tab to your properties menu to generate file hashes. Check to see if the different exe files in the folders have unique or identical hashes. You can also submit the hashes to virustotal. MD5 is one of the more widely used/recognized, in my experience, so I would recommend using that one. There should be a 'search' tab on VT, where you can paste the hash.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Re : duplicate folder with exe extention of 300kb size each

Hi,
    Thank westin,

I have also same problem size is differ and you given link is working and now i am out of problem not create new folder automatically.

Hi,

Now that I am over my biological virus infection I have had a few more thoughts....................

If the files you are seeing are "traces" of a previous infection, and are not active of themselves, many AVs will simply ignore them.

The (free) product that I use is A-Squared, as this seems to be the best for traces.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

The name has changed recently to "Emsisoft Anti-Malware" but it is the same thing.

You get the full product for 30 days, then it reverts to the free one, which is an on demand scanner.

Also you might try Auslogics' "duplicate file finder" It might pick up all the files, even if they have different names, as it looks as if the content is the same?

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...e-file-finder/

Good luck

this is the virus scanning your system on the antivirus update version.

** Link removed by site administrator since it doesn't fit in with the thread and makes your post to this old thread look like spam. **

Its a virus. Scan your system with updated antivirus. If you haven't any antivirus....you can download TechGenie Free antivirus.

Friend of Site Staff
    November 14th, 2012, was the last active post Zoe Smith I am sure the problem has been solved by now.
    Please check the dates.

same problem to me please anyone tell me how to remove or best antivirus suggest