Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus removal

@shay

Yes, those are good tools but you only need to wipe the quarantine folder and then the free-space, once in this case. You use multiple overwrites to block the forensic recovery of sensitive data.

A single overwrite will prevent any chance of a program running again, and with the size of today's hard drives is the way to go.

There again, if you are certain that your anti malware overwrites rather than just moves to quarantine or flags as deleted; you would only need to zap the quarantine folder.

Of course it would still be there technically, but in an overwritten state.

Friend of Site Staff
    @nihil
    Good points I failed to bring out. THANKS!

if you are certain that your anti malware overwrites rather than just moves to quarantine or flags as deleted;
    Never could figure out if they did overwrite, so that lead to what I posted.

I would say from my personal experience that most of the antivirus while deleting malwares or virus it just collects all the malwares and get stored in its quarantine, Mostly its not completely removed from your system.

if you use an good and registered anti virus then virus should be deleted, when it is found by antivirus. the other main thin is, you need to update your antivirus on regular basis.

Jack,

It all depends on what is meant by "deleted". In general computing terms nothing is actually deleted, it is just flagged as reusable.

Unless you are sure of how your anti-malware works, it would be a wise precaution to wipe freespace

I would be careful when "Deleting things"...Viruses tend to attach themselves to system files. Can't tell you how many times I've deleted viruses only to be left with a crippled system!!

Me too!

These days I use the quarantine facility and set up my customers the same. That way I can see which files were affected, and more importantly what the threat was, as I might consider it safer to do a save and reinstall.

There's are options that you want to Quarantine threats or Delete threats. If you chose the delete option than it will be removed for ever. you computer may restart or antivious can ask you to restart the computer. If ask for the restart then it better to restart the computer for getting full safety.

Virus is removed !

There's are options that you want to Quarantine threats or Delete threats. If you chose the delete option than it will be removed for ever. you computer may restart or antivirus can ask you to restart the computer. If ask for the restart then it better to restart the computer for getting full safety.

Is ccleaner the best one to remove the virus?