Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft starting silent upgrades of Internet Explorer.

The last time I started Firefox, it automatically installed an update and restarted.
    That was a few of weeks ago and the update was from version of 7.x to 7.y.
    That wasn't "silent", but I had no control either. One either allows all updates or not.
    There is no granularity to the option. Now I'm running FF 9, but I asked for it.

@Nihil, I dont have FF installed, but it wouldnt interfere with the logged on session, only when you open it up or restart it. __________________
    That's exactly what I did.................started it and went to "help about" It told me there was an update, then did I want to download it, then did I want to install it, then did I want to restart it to make the update work.

This was from v8 to v9, so maybe that is the difference? There was certainly no automatic update or installation.

That's kinda sad man.... Wow. The first thing I learned about Web Design, was to use as many Browsers as possible, and make sure everything I did, ran on all of them.

I visit a few sites that have a list of approved browsers and versions.
    They actively block non-conforming access. Most are either financial sites or private sites.

Similarly, many sites code for IE access while ignoring other browsers.
    I've found many sites that require IE to access/render their site correctly.
    Fox News is one such site.

FF doesn't render the question on this page. Using IE there is a question with 4 answer selections and a Vote button.

Hmmmmm, I can see a potential problem there. I have had some problems with Windows 8 in that drivers and management software wouldn't load because the manufacturer's software saw IE10 and didn't realise that it was a later version than IE7.

If MS are serious in updating IE on a regular basis then hardware and other software vendors are going to have to get their update and installation software tuned to this.

Currently, these people are not geared up to testing their software against IE on a regular basis. Not so much a problem with updates but for hardware it well might be as the stuff could have been sitting on a shelf for months if not years.

I for one am not prepared to pay full price for something I have to mess around with to get working. This could well have repercussions elsewhere in the food chain?

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    FF doesn't render the question on this page. Using IE there is a question with 4 answer selections and a Vote button.
    Uh yes it renders fine,

• firefox 3.6.25 Check
    • firefox 8.01 Check
    • Chrome Check.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HYBR|D; December 23rd, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

The most disturbing thing isn't so much Firefox rendering that or not, but that anyone in their right mind would listen to a word Fox News says. They're constantly inaccurate and VERY pro right wing Republican.

If you guys ever have a chance, look for a Documentary called "Right Wing Wronged". It's.... It makes you wonder WTF is wrong with us. At one point in that documentary, a guy says, when asked if there are two Americas forming; "Well there's working people and there's Gay people"..... I couldn't Believe it.

Though this was right around the time some moron in a Cow Boy hat was saying that He votes Republican because Democrats want to raise taxes on his farm or some bull ****. He said "We're Blue Collar Hard Working people, and we're the back bone of this country, we keep this country running".... No you don't, that's why most companies who make Orange Juice IMPORT IT!

OK I think I've ranted enough now. Fox News are morons, Republicans are amazing at making blue collar idiots think that they are looking out for them. It amazes me every time I see someone who works a blue collar job, saying they hate Democrats because they "Give money away to the rich".... In reality, the Republicans are the ones who give tax cuts to the Richest people in the Country, and Tax the **** out of the people who actually work hard for very little.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    What browsers do web devs normally check their sites against?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well, it depends on the person; When I used to do a lot of Web Design; I based my tests on whatever I needed the Web Page for. When I wanted to make a site to run on my own Web Server, I tested mine in Links, Lynx, E-Links, Opera, Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, and a few others. But as far as I know, most Web Designers just test their stuff against whatever they have. It mainly depends on what you want, and who it's for.

When I took a Web Design class, we were told that we should always have multiple Web Browsers installed to check our designs out against as many as possible.

Here it is not rendered correctly in FF 9.01.

I'd rather visit Fox News than the left wing likes of NBC, CBS and ABC. That said, I visit about 30 news sites every day.
    When I want news with a left wing bias I visit the New York Times or Washington Post.