Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you really get by with no av on a windows box

And to make sure I don't stray off topic much; How about that there stoned virus! Lol.
    Hey, gore, you must have deja vu?............... can you suggest six numbers between 1 and 49 (no repeats) for our National Lottery.

Stoned is the only virus I ever had on one of my machines that I didn't launch myself.

It was an IBM PCXT with twin 5.25" drives and a 10Mb (yeah! megabytes) HDD and booted DOS 3.3

My brother-in-law sent the virus on some 5.25" floppies with WordPerfect or WordStar on them (I forget which).

And to make sure I don't stray off topic much; How about that there stoned virus! Lol.
    I was fixing to dial 911 cause you drifted wayyyy out there to left field. Glad you came back.

I think I have Stoned around here somewhere. I used to collect Viruses way back in the day. I thought it was cool, because it was like "Wow, I have a directory so full of crap... I should name this directory 4 dollar hooker cause WOW are there some Viruses running around in there" lol.

Dial 911? I just responded that I've seen some majorly messed up stuff in a so called land of the free. I said something that was 100% true, and, sad at the same time. I think I went on about it because someone posted something on Facebook about George Washington, and I remember I replied to it that if we could bring the dead back to life, he'd be REALLY mad with what we've done here.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    AV is a dead technology. They're coasting on inertia from the late 1990s. The last thing I would ever do is repeat the past mistakes and add AV to a tablet or smartphone.

AV stops stupid these days. That's it.

On top of that, anyone foolish enough to pay for AV (which is effective less than 18% of the time anyway) is herp derp.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thehorse13 View Post
    AV is a dead technology. They're coasting on inertia from the late 1990s. The last thing I would ever do is repeat the past mistakes and add AV to a tablet or smartphone.

AV stops stupid these days. That's it.

On top of that, anyone foolish enough to pay for AV (which is effective less than 18% of the time anyway) is herp derp.
    In a corporate environment how can you say the above?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    In a corporate environment how can you say the above?
    Very easily. I measure the metrics each week and have been for the last 20+ years. It's like the mainframe, a relic from the past but to be fair, mainframes still have some use, AV does not.

AV is dead but I understand why you have to say otherwise being that you work for an AV company. Ask anyone with half a clue and they will say the same thing that I have.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I'm gonna go with Horsey on this one. AV Software takes up massive Resources on any Computer. And for the Server side, you have the Server AV, taking up not only resources on the machines, but on the Network too, and yet, other than Worms and Malware and Spyware, I've not seen even ONE true Virus outbreak in a LONG time. Spybot is free is grabs most of this stuff, and even then, if you're careful, and you don't go to web sites of ill repute (E-Whore Houses would be a good term there) you aren't going to get infected. For those of us not using Windows, this isn't even an issue most of the time.

I've heard the argument that "Well if Unix was used as much as Windows was, there would be more crap on it" but the fact is, if you don't count the Desktop market, the Server Market IS where you have a Unix high ground, and Servers generally would have a larger pay off, yet they still have no real issues like this.

On the small scale, we can look at this more:

I run a network here at my house, and, this can be replicated by any small business who has to keep costs down. I've got FTP Servers running, SSH for remote log ins, and more. Any small business would have similar, as they'd have one or two, maybe 3 Servers, and then Desktops as Clients. How many times have you honestly heard of a Virus wreaking havoc on a Network or Desktop in the last couple years? I haven't heard of it in a while.

Is it because people who used to write these things no longer do? I doubt it. It's payload. I can't remember who, but someone here once said that Viruses are a thing of the past, and that Malware, Spyware, and the like, were the future of problems for Admins. I think I'll go ahead and say I agree there. I haven't seen a REAL virus in a long time. I DO have AVG installed, but it doesn't find anything that Spybot can't.

Actually, the only thing ever really found on my machines, are tracking cookies.

In enterprise settings I always put a bastion host between the router and the internal network for protection. IIRC I encountered a virus for the first time in the early or mid 1980's on a BSD 4.x box. I still get an occasional real time hit on malware entering my network.

I actively block trackers and web bugs. They are nasty critters especially if one has static IP addresses as I do.

It's really a very simple thing. Ask yourself this, if I told you that I'm going to sell you a bullet proof vest that is effective less than 18% of the time, how soon would you buy it? Even more so, if I told you I would give it to you for free, how much would you count on it?

AV is a dead relic from the past. I has no place in the new era of computing. The *only* reason you see it in organizations is for regulatory compliance check lists. That's it. Otherwise, it would be on the trash heap with Windows 95.

I'd rather have a bastion host guarding the door than simply ignoring the risk which is great indeed. I have some very sensitive personal and ex-client data on my home network (I'm retired). The last thing I want is for that data to be exposed to malware or be seen by unauthorized eyes.

Do you lock you house? Door locks are not secure so why have them?

Do you leave the keys in your car? They aren't very effective so why bother to remove them?