Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas Everyone

Merry Christmas Everyone

Seasonal greetings from nihil, Eileen and squeaky baby...............

Merry Christmas AO! I Hope everyone here has had a Wonder Christmas. Yesterday, my Wife and I spent like two hours at my Mom's House cooking and baking and making food to bring to our Familie's Christmas Party, and we had fun.

We made Quebecois Food, and everyone loved it.

I wore my new FreeBSD Black Pull Over Hoody. I got a BUNCH of FreeBSD stuff, because my Mom let me go to the FreeBSD Mall, pick out some stuff, and then ordered it for me as part of my Christmas Presents. I'm wearing my new FreeBSD tee, and just finished putting stuff in my FreeBSD CD Case. I also got two issues of BSD Magazine. They're wonderful.

I also got two Hank III CDs I got some pretty cool stuff. Last night at the party, and today, have made me glad the drunk Driver on the 16th didn't kill me.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Gore, is your wifes name FreeBSD ? :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

It starts with an F, but no

Well,

I'm playing with my new Microsoft black ergonomic keyboard............ I felt that I could forfeit $6 worth of beer vouchers for that indulgence

I also got a Sapphire Radeon video card............... I had beeen buying Asus, but they were "engineering samples" ????? like they have the semi nekkid wimmin and monsters on the box ............. then Windows 8 tells me that they are engineering samples ??????? I think that's the video cards not the wimmin?????

//serious stuff @ gore:

Are ATI/AMD still crap at drivers for *nix? I do remember way back when that was the case?

Nihil; ATI is something I'm VERY Biased about; I do NOT like ATI, and I'm a total Nvidia fan boi, so with that said, I'm going to take to Honest Road, and tell you the Truth:

My Wife, though a Vi user, also likes ATI Cards. It's sad, and yea we argue about it a lot. However, I WILL say this:

My Wife's Laptop, though currently not working, has an ATI card in it, and whenever I used Mandriva Linux, it seemed to pick it up right away. To my ABSOLUTE SHOCK Her ATI Video Card, after installing Mandriva Linux, not only worked, but had 3D, and could handle games....

Now, with that said, most other OSs, are NOT going to give you that same ease of use. In fact on most distros, you'll have one hell of a time making an ATI card work with 3D.

Now don't get me wrong here, if all you want, is for the card to display something on the monitor, it's just going to work like any card. The main difference, comes when it's time to play video games and have 3D Desktops FX and so on. In THAT area, Nvidia has it all.

In fact I'm surprised no one at Nvidia has capitalized on this yet and started doing ads about how much easier it is to make their cards work under Unix based OSs. I can't imagine why they don't.

If I were the CEO of Nvidia, I'd record real users of Linux and BSD using two identical machines, except one machine had an Nvidia card and the other, ATI, and just make a commercial showing what happens when BOTH want 3D. That alone would sell cards.

Anyway before I turn a simple opinionated answer into a book about Video card Hardware and Unix, the short answer is; They're starting to work sometimes, but still nothing compared to Nvidia.

To give you an idea of how I think; SGI Workstations ALL use Nvidia Video Cards. That should say something

I was a fan of 3dLabs Wildcat cards. They were about the only card that could support the Viewsonic VP2290b (3840x2400) 22" LCD. Too bad they exited the business and the Viewsonic VP2290b is no longer made.

You ever use an SGI stuff? Those are my absolute dream machines. Like, if I were to win the Lotto, I'd be calling SGI the next day.

I never used SGI. I do use nVidia Quadro cards now days. Even my notebooks have Quadro chips in them.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I never used SGI. I do use nVidia Quadro cards now days. Even my notebooks have Quadro chips in them.
    Oh man.... OK, SGI Computers are.... In MY opinion, the BEST Computers a human being has ever made. I mean... They LOOK amazing, and they're awesome.

Have you ever looked into SGI? I know you did a lot of consulting work, but did any clients ever have an SGI? You said something about Solaris, and about HP-UX, so HP and Sun were amongst your travels, but what about SGI?

Even if you just use google images and look up SGI, trust me, you'll be impressed.