Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Merry Christmas Everyone

I'm gonna ask a simple question here, as I probably should have just done this in the beginning, but now this has gone from me simple saying "My Dream Machine is something they don't make anymore" to defending the Company period, which is a little silly.

But, today, I've now slept, and I can think. So:

Nihil, if you could have ANY Computer, what would it be? Would it be something brand new and shiny from today? Or would you choose something that may no longer be made now?

I stand by saying SGI, not as a Company, but the Computers that have that logo on them, are the best. My SECOND dream machines, are a tie between Alphas, and OLD Suns. I wouldn't want a Sun from today because Oracle are screwing them up. Oracle has basically taken Sun, an amazing Workstation maker, founded by Bill Joy, an amazing Hacker, and just pissed on them.

However, we can still buy old Suns, because they're well made in general, so, between Ebay, and second hand markets for Computers, you can get machines from years ago, and not have to pay much for the most part.

By the way; If I could get an Alpha, I'd want an Alpha Workstation running Tru64. THAT is a nice Workstation too.

HYBR|D
    Apart from just having 1 for nostaligia, there really isn't any point.

Well at least the machines I'm talking about are usable for something today; I saw a Documentary on Apple where there's a guy who makes these boards that are basically replicas of the very first Apple Computer.

The guy apparently emailed Steve Wozniak, and told him about everything he was doing, because he couldn't get anyone from Apple to get back to him, and Steve Wozniak actually got a hold of the guy and said he could use the Source Code, and that really all Apple could do is say that basically "Steve Wozniak Wrote this before there was an Apple Computers" so he got it.

I thought it was cool and all, but outside of people who used these things way back in the day, I can't imagine what they would use them for, because they're totally obsolete, and the original Apple Computer, wasn't anything you could use today for anything real other than writing BASIC programs maybe or something.

I mean it's not like those things had Network connections, or even cases; Most people from what I understand just built them out of wood. The guy sells them to people though, and people buy them.

The stuff I'm talking about is actually still in use so it's not like just nostalgia or something; One of the Workstations I looked at, came with IRIX, and had a couple gigs of RAM, and would be still usable for any number of things today. I mean a brand new Computer I saw at Best Buy the other day, had 6 gigs of RAM and a 1 TB drive, and that still isn't even close to what old SGIs had, so they can still be used today as Workstations because of how ahead of their time they were.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Seasonal greetings from nihil, Eileen and squeaky baby...............

Squeaky baby? Dude, I didn't think an old fossil like you could still get it up!
    Lots of extra Milk in the fridge me thinks...

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you and yours.

Dino, Kim and family
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Oh yea, in the best Donny Baker voice... "SHUT UP GORE"
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Happy New Year Dino

And hey now, you know how I am, I LOVE SGI Computers. I do admit I'm not sure how this went from me saying what my personal dream machine is, into the financial issues of the company that makes them, and I do admit, I'm not sure why no one just looked at the pictures and commented what they thought about the designs of the machines, which was what I was aiming for Honestly, but this is AO after all lol.

For the record:

I was simply saying that my dream machine, the Computer I'd love to own, is a Workstation from SGI, back before they were bought up, and that is all. I was NOT trying to start a huge discussion about their financial issues, or really anything about them as a company, I just happen to REALLY love the cases they made for their machines, and, the software they wrote for it. That's all. I don't Honestly care about their financial issues, I don't. I just wanted to show two people who had never seen them before, what an SGI looked like. And, instead of "Oh, hey, that is one pretty tower!" I got a big bunch of stuff about finances, company names, and other stuff. Now, is there a chance we could just MAYBE admit that what I said got taken wrong and just look at the things and say what you thought about the design? It was all I was going for.

And for my other statements about Alphas and so on, all I said there was that I thought Alpha Workstations running Tru64, were awesome. I Honestly don't know if they're still being made (I think they are, but since I don't have like 30,000 dollars to buy one, I don't bother) and I'd be pretty shocked if anyone here said they weren't good.

My Statements about Sun, are my opinion. Oracle has ruined what was a great company. And ua, you said you personally worked on Suns, which I think are great Workstations too. You ever get to play with those HUGE Fridge sized ones? A Computer Security Company that wanted to hire me let me look through their Server farm during the second interview a few years ago, and I was amazed to see they had a full "cage" of Sun Servers they used.

I'm a huge fan of HP as well, since the first HP I ever bough, is still working. That's saying something for a Computer I bought over 10 years ago. It was the first time I'd ever bought one, and the fact that it's still working after all these years is pretty nice.

It's the one I have my FTP Server set up on. Right now, it's been up and running and storing my back ups, and doing my shell stuff and my email, for 214 days. I'm about to have 215 days uptime, and I have ALL patches installed.

Slackware 12.0 is what I'm using. I have a monitor hooked up but I don't really turn it on since it's basically sitting at the end of my desk and I log in over SSH.

Anyway, I wanted to clear up a few things; When I made those posts yesterday, I had been awake for a REALLY long time. UA knows a bit about my back problems, as we've talked about that before, so he can tell you, it's not easy to sleep when you're in excruciating pain. I literally couldn't sleep, so after being awake for 36 hours, I was trying to reply to this thread and probably shouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Merry Christmas AO! I Hope everyone here has had a Wonder Christmas. Yesterday, my Wife and I spent like two hours at my Mom's House cooking and baking and making food to bring to our Familie's Christmas Party, and we had fun.

We made Quebecois Food, and everyone loved it.

I wore my new FreeBSD Black Pull Over Hoody. I got a BUNCH of FreeBSD stuff, because my Mom let me go to the FreeBSD Mall, pick out some stuff, and then ordered it for me as part of my Christmas Presents. I'm wearing my new FreeBSD tee, and just finished putting stuff in my FreeBSD CD Case. I also got two issues of BSD Magazine. They're wonderful.

I also got two Hank III CDs I got some pretty cool stuff. Last night at the party, and today, have made me glad the drunk Driver on the 16th didn't kill me.
    hank III rules \m/ lol

belated happy holidays

happy holidays ,im still recovering from new years eve , i had a ok Christmas spent it watching someone reload ammo ,i got a Christmas gift for myself , 1.5 terabyte drive with 570gb of punk metal and classic rock ,my music collection i had backed up at my friends house so i can piss off my neighbors with misfits ,pantera ,and morbid angel again lmao,i guess i was naughty so im buying my own stuff a vox valvetronix guitar amp a zoom effects processor and a epiphone Les Paul starting to play guitar more ,
    Last edited by romanticcowboy; January 2nd, 2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: im kinda intoxiccated spelling check lmao

For a good true story:

One day, I was sitting in here with my Wife, and we both heard a door shut next door. A family was looking at the house next door, and they had like 4 kids. I don't have an issue with kids, but in my neighborhood, they let those little ****ers run wild.

I grabbed a quick play list of Anal****, and turned it up. When they came out side, and heard AC playing, they took off and didn't come back lol.