Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: welcome to my music library nightmare

welcome to my music library nightmare

i have a music library of about 570gb the problem im having is its in different formats , id like to find a program that would allow me to scan my music folders and batch convert non mp3s to mp3 as i dj online with sam broadcaster and it doesn't support some formats i have any help would be greatly appreciated thank you i have a windows 7 64bit system with 4gb of ddr2 amd Athlon 2 mobile processor ,320gb internal drive and 1.5 terabyte external and welcome to my nightmare by alice cooper keeps playing in my head when look at my music library please helppppppp
    Last edited by romanticcowboy; January 2nd, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

get audacity

this process is long though, very long for 570 gb of music

it records the music while you play the song on any player and then enable you to save as mp3
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Quote Originally Posted by bagggi View Post
    get audacity

this process is long though, very long for 570 gb of music

it records the music while you play the song on any player and then enable you to save as mp3
    thing is that would take months ty for the advice though ,im trying to find something that would scan my music folders find the tracks that arnt mp3 and allow me to convert them in one shot

have heard that itunes scans the drive for media and converts everything into its format. and that is more of a one shot thing.

mind you, have not tried it myself
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Do you have access to a FreeBSD or PC-BSD machine? In the audio section of both OSs, they have something like 15 different tools to change formats of music, and I don't know of any other that has that many.

If you're running windows, you may want to take a stab at the task with GoldWave. (goldwave.com)

It offers 32bit and 64bit versions and has batch conversion capabilities of single files and folders. It also has the wonderful ability to "scan" subfolders and convert the files in those folders as well.

One problem, as you've mentioned, is that you only want to convert audio files which are not already in mp3 format.

I'm not sure how attached you are to your folder hierarchy or organization model but you may find it worthy of consideration to script something to simply dump all non-mp3 audio files into one folder, do the batch conversion with that folder as the source, and then redistribute the newly converted mp3s into the proper folders of your choice. (organized by artist/name/whatever criteria. )

That's how I've done it (on considerably less data however.)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by treanglin; January 3rd, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

HYBR|D
    Nice thought about Goldwave, haven't heard that mentioned in years.

Not sure if your willing to pay for software but if your willing to part with a few $, then i would highly recommened http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

a friend uses it and swears by it.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I have used Itunes a few times to convert things now I have the worst problem ... duplicates.

I am not sure how to deal with this other than manual (have been putting it off though).
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Try dBpoweramp Music Converter

I recommend that you take a look at dBpoweramp Music Converter. The home page is here:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com

It integrates with Windows Explorer, so you can run it as a program or else work directly from the right-click context menu in Windows. It does single and batch converting and takes a purist approach to data quality and integrity. It claims to do error-free CD ripping and gets the most accurate possible metadata by comparing the results from multiple online databases. It supports most known audio codecs including proprietary, open source and lossless. I use it myself and can't praise it enough.

My Windows duplicate files remover recommendations:
    http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/
    or
    http://www.duplicate-file-cleaner.com/

My Linux duplicate files remover recommendation:
    FSlint

For both Windows and Linux system cleaner recommendation:
    BleachBit

My ten cents... yes, it is inflation...
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57