Thread: Q about GPEdit and Software Restrictions

Q about GPEdit and Software Restrictions

Alright, I tried to enable software restriction policies on my system:

Enforcement = All Software & All Users (except admins)
    Security Levels = "Disallowed" by default.

This worked just fine, until I fired up Firefox after I did this.
    After the policy change, my browser disabled my Norton IPS/Toolbar and WoT extensions.
    When I return the security level to "Unrestricted", everything worked just fine.

Anyone know where I can make some rule exceptions?
    If it's a program exception, I think I can manage, but since it's a plug-in, I have no idea where to look for it.

This is my first time doing these type of restrictions using GP.
    Last edited by dredogol; January 13th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.

Well, you are using an OS that is over 10 years old? I seem to recall that you can set up a "white list", but that would be a real PITA.

You might try messing with the installation?

Try uninstalling FF then reinstalling, adding the plugins and enabling FF for all users.

I am hoping that it is just an installation timing issue. As you say, plugins are a bit weird.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Try uninstalling FF then reinstalling, adding the plugins and enabling FF for all users.
    As far as I remember, I don't think THAT type of option was available for FF.
    Yeah, I know about the programs white-list, just no idea about FF plugins... =/
    I noticed some of my games also don't work when the "Disallowed" feature is enabled. (works fine disable under limited user... no need to "run as" admin).
    *sighs*
    Guess it's time for some long trial-error sessions.

I am guessing that you had your applications installed before you changed your security settings? I would try reinstalling and see if you are given any more options as to who can run them under your new security settings.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I am guessing that you had your applications installed before you changed your security settings? I would try reinstalling and see if you are given any more options as to who can run them under your new security settings.
    Hmm... maybe. I'll give it a try here probably tomrorow.