Thread: Help me select a laptop please

Help me select a laptop please

Hello everyone,

So I'm deciding to buy a laptop. The 4 items I care about are:

1- Weight: about 1.5kg is fine (I may go up to 2kg if you recommend me but the lighter the better)
    2- Battery: at least 6hours (for when I'm on the airplane or in the airport)
    3- Price: 600-700 (I'll go up to 800 if you really recommend me )
    4- Average ability to run regular softwares! NO gaming at all.

However, I don't have that much information about the processors and graphic cards and brands.
    So I managed to make a short! list of some laptops with the above information about them.
    I know can takes you a long time to look at all of them and go through all the details but regarding the processor and graphic card, are there anyones you would recommend (in a cursory look )? I really appreciate any advice. (Also, could you please give me like two recommendations, just in case one is not available ...)

Thank you so much

I'm personally thinking about either:
    Lenovo IdeaPad 14" 3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3317U Ultrabook (U410)
    Toshiba 13.3" Intel Core i5-2467M Laptop - Refurbished
    VAIO T series
    !!!!!!!!!! because they are so light with about 8 hours batteries!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by boyboy400; August 18th, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: I want to delete this post but don't know how. plz delete it for me

Hi there BB!

Hope that you and yours are all well.

Sorry for the delay in posting, but my wife has been in hospital for the last 3 weeks.........and not the same one

Anyways, on to the subject?

You have requirements 1 and 2, which are actually contradictory....... a long life means a heavy battery, and that is how it is!

This also contradicts your price considerations, as the long life batteries are expensive, as they are heavy.

How much of a "road warrior" device do you NEED ? 6 hours in an airport...........hell man, go and buy a pr0n magazine?

I have a cheap "portable desktop" AND a netbook.............maybe that is the way to go..........or with one of these "fondleslabs" ?

My "laptop" will do about 90 minutes.......... the netbook around 4 hours........a fondleslab COULD give you 6-8............. I guess it boils down to what you want to use it for?

How is the FX4100 BTW?

Cheers,

Johnno,

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi there BB!

Hope that you and yours are all well.

Sorry for the delay in posting, but my wife has been in hospital for the last 3 weeks.........and not the same one
    Thank you so much Nihil. So sorry to hear about that . Hope she's doing well now . I bought a lappy this morning. The specification says 8hours for battery and it's fairly light! we'll see how it works though