Recovering Overwritten Data - SD Card - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovering Overwritten Data - SD Card

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    OVERWRITTEN data cannot be recovered, as it has been physically (electronically) replaced with something else.

Dr. Peter Gutmann (University of Aukland, New Zealand) wrote a paper on this around 1996, when HDD technology was very different. His paper only referred to electro-mechanical hard drives, rather than solid state drives that use transistors as opposed to magnetic media.

You can frequently recover "deleted", or "lost" data because it is still physically present; however, once it has been overwritten (replaced) with something else, it is GONE FOREVER.

None of the snake oil products suggested by spammers can do a thing about that!
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Super Moderator
    Recurva work fine, as long as it has not been overwritten.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Memory sticks and SSD because of their size get overwritten fast.

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    I agree with Shay, and put Piriform's "Recuva" on all my customers' machines. It does what it says on the box

EDIT:

@Shay,

I believe you to have far greater technical knowledge than myself, so this is a discussion point rather than an argument.

I have recovered stuff from solid state media that I would not have expected to from their electro-mechanical counterparts?

I put this down to the fact that the SSD stuff has software embedded in it to make all the transistors get used, rather than the next available?

What is your opinion?
    Last edited by nihil; September 6th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Super Moderator
    I figure between the two of us, we make a great team knowledge wise. We have both pulled stuff out of the wood work that surprised the other.

The SSD programing [ lack of a better word] Seems to delay over writing of items marked for deletion. So yes, you would be able to normally recover more. Remember we do NOT defragment SSD which can be a huge bacon saver.

Remember IDE/SATA writes to the first open/marked to overwrite areas first.

Hope that makes sense.

thanks, I like free tool which is really helpful.
    Last edited by jetwa22; October 11th, 2013 at 06:26 AM.

Even the overwritten files are not recoverable, but you never know whether the files are really overwritten, so you better try some free tool to check whether the files are still recoverable. Here's one useful guide: how to recover data from sd card

All lost files are still on you SD Card,you can recover them with a SD Card Data Recovery, it will search your SD card lost files. Photo Recovery tool (compatible with Windows 8/7/Vista/XP) and Photo Recovery for Mac, the recovery tool can recover pictures, videos, music and other lot data from SD card easily.
    Last edited by zlhdglad; December 30th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.

The iPhone Photo Recovery is a professional application that can help you extract iPhone file and get all of photos back if you deleted your cherished photos by mistake. And it works well with iPhone 5s,iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS. It can recover Messages, Contacts, Call History, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Safari Bookmark directly from iPhone 5/4S.
    How to Recover Photos from iPhone
    Last edited by zlhdglad; December 30th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.