Thread: Pre-Windows beeping (not hardware error code)

Pre-Windows beeping (not hardware error code)

Long time no post, hope to get some of your great expertise again.

I have a laptop, Dell 6500 series. On it is Windows 7 x64 encrypted with Symantec Endpoint Encryption.

Ran into a problem where I'm getting beeps prior to windows loading. What I mean is, at the encryption logon (pre windows) it beeps once when I hit enter, three times when I hit tab to enter information into the fields. This just started happening, and I've had this laptop for almost a year now without this issue.

Had a similar laptop have this issue as well. Here is what I know:

1. It follows the drive. If I put the hard drive into another laptop, the new laptop beeps preboot, so its 'software' somehow even though its pre-windows.

2. It does not appear to be symantec causing the beeps. I've worked with their support a little, and have made no progress there.

3. A fresh install of windows then reloading the encryption fixes the issue. Again, its something on the hard drive.

4. Disabling sound in windows, disabling default beep etc, have no impact.

5. Nothing in Bios looking helpful, Tried updating and factory reset to defaults, beeps still persist.

I'm really trying hard not to reload my system. It will correct the issue, but I have a LOT of programs to install for work (tech support) and I'd rather not format just for some annoying beeps at encryption logon.

Thank you for any insight!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Hi,

The only stuff you have running prior to Windows booting is the BIOS and Symantec. I really don't think that there are any prizes for guessing which one is causing it?

It does not appear to be symantec causing the beeps. I've worked with their support a little, and have made no progress there.
    Well the no progress sounds about right.............but what else can it be?........... it is following the drive so it isn't your video or RAM which would be the favourites for a hardware issue IMO.

Windows hasn't even started, so you can't blame that, and effectively reinstalling the encryption mechanism seems to solve the issue?

I don't know why it happens but I would look at any other security or update apps that might launch pre-Windows boot?..... It sounds like some sort of incompatibility or corruption issue?

Is it possible to remove the Semantec encryption application and see if the problem happens without it?

Just thought about that right before I saw your post. Going to decrypt my drive, uninstall symantec, and see if it still beeps. If it does.... not sure what it could be, as a windows reload fixes it I know for sure.

I'll post an update once I get decrpyted.

Edit: Obviously it will not beep once I get it decpyted and uninstalled, as there will be no more preboot window... But, we'll see if it returns after a reinstall of symantec encryption.

Really odd since any changes to encryption require a massivly long password, and I have not entered it in months.
    Last edited by cross; January 26th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

ARGH, I think I read this wrong............try this:

Press F5 at the startup screen to turn off audio cues

Disregard the POST Below....Sorry, Off my Meds...... ;-p

I agree with nihil.......however, a beep on enter after you put in your Decryption Key, usually represents an incorrect Password......the fact that it has been working for at least a year pretty much confirms your password\key is correct and you know it.....Unless of course, it got changed somehow...with the Symantec zero day exploits in the wild, that's not as far fetched as it may seem... Definitely Decrypt from a Rescue Disk and see what happens....let us know, very interesting. Good Luck, Thanks!

Also - Whatever you do, do not try to Repair your MBR, or do a FIXBOOT\FIXMBR from Any Windows install media or live boot disk while troubleshooting.....Then it's Game Over my friend......
    Last edited by Wazz; January 27th, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

I forgot to ask, but apart from the beeping does it eventually boot into Windows OK?

HYBR|D
    Log into your BIOS and reset to default, also check your memory is still seated correctly, and maybe give memtest a run make sure there non-corrupting.

anything significant happen regarding the laptop as of recent? knocked it / liquid spillage / installed - uninstalled something?

This is certainly a strange one, as from what cross has told us it is happening before the OS boots, so we can presumably rule out things like dodgy drivers?

Assuming that it is some sort of issue between the Symantec application and the BIOS (although it could be all Symantec's own work ), all I can suggest is that something has corrupted the sequence of events and the app is complaining about it?

Is it possible to uninstall the encryption app and then reinstall it?

stuck keyboard causes beeps... Is it the any key? overheat issue? post behavior adapter issue? Computrace issue? Boot Sector viri type?

Those are things i have seen in the past. Sounds motherboardish to me...
    The gene pool has no life guard!

There is just one problem with these hardware solutions:

1. It follows the drive. If I put the hard drive into another laptop, the new laptop beeps preboot, so its 'software' somehow even though its pre-windows.
    So, even if it were instigated by a hardware issue in the first place, solving that won't fix the issue, so you wouldn't really know if it had worked.

ALSO

3. A fresh install of windows then reloading the encryption fixes the issue. Again, its something on the hard drive.
    I don't think that you can do a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit on a defective hard drive (you can't with Windows 8)? or you would at least get some sort of warning, as it does a complete overwrite of the drive.

If the drive has S.M.A.R.T. enabled (which it should) then look at "Reallocated Sector Count" and "Uncorrectable Sector Count".

Have you run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility?
    The odds are that the drive is malfunctioning in some way, or is about to.