Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WINDOWS 8 release date?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    As I have said before it is just an enhanced version of Windows 7 as far as end user experience is concerned. I really can't see anyone wanting to make the transition?
    but as normal, Win8 will be all that is available in shops for home users, and business will need to downgrade licensr to load their images to it, and eventually, drivers will not work on Win7, will only work on Win8 SP3 :P yadayadayada

XP still business OS of choice, as it still workss, and can still run on new, pretty reasonable hardware, it is never going to be a speed demon, but until the hardware HAS to go to Win8, as by then it WILL be Win8 business will still hold to XP

UK NHS where I have done support for over 5 years now, in many trusts, all have XP, they are running SOME Win7, mainly for 'power users' who need their PC to be that little more responsive under a heavy load, but even CEO's get XP imaged to their PC

as for laptops, if it don't work with XP, they can only get it if they make a case for having Dr Dre's beat box audio on a medical box

saying that, it WILL all upgrade, but eventually is the word there, as it is 00's of 000's of workstations, and as NHS can only purchase rom authorised suppliers, the cost for a basic workstaion is close on £700 ......

wheras if they let us loose with a Co credit card, we could go to Ebuyer [UK] and get bare bone set ups for £180, leaving BIG differentials to get peripherals and OS image added

but hey, WTF do I know :P
    Last edited by foxyloxley; March 11th, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spell check
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi Foxy,

but as normal, Win8 will be all that is available in shops for home users
    I am with that sentiment 200%, which is why I have said that it will be a success for that reason alone. However, that is only because nobody will want to upgrade from 7 and, most importantly, downgrade from Windows 8.

If we look at Microsoft's two EPIC FAILS this century, they have been Millennium and Vista. I don't know about you, but I have downgraded from ME and Vista dozens of times, I really don't see that happening with Windows 8 vs Windows 7.

To me, these two are somewhat similar to the differences between Windows 98 and Windows 98SE.............. as in "not a lot, but they got it better next time around"

I will stop now because the keyboaqrd batteries ned changing

Arrgh! that's better................ I was getting pissed off with constantly going back and editing

When it comes to an outfit like the NHS, then we have a different situation, as they should be (?) on a corporate licence....... just overwrite what you get with your image?

OK it has been some 10 years now since I "sullied my hands" with that sort of stuff.

Conversation goes like this:

I want 8,000 of "XYZ"...............what price can you give me?

OK, what else.............well they have Windows NT4 pre-installed................

Yes you pillock, that shows that you did some basic testing............ forget that; as we have a corporate licence, and will immediately overwrite your pre-installed crap.

You know that the NHS has THE worst record of IT Procurement in the World?

Hmmmm..................... looks like these rechargeables may not be up to it either?

Ah! soddit for now............ 24-22 over there was good enough for one day?
    Last edited by nihil; March 11th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Windows 8 is and probably will primarily be for mobile and home use. If we follow the trend of OS's used in most business environments today, only the most tried and true OS will prevail. With XP at the end of its life, 7 is the next best candidate and will likey be for the next 6 or 7 years. In my opinion, there is no real reason businesses should be looking to upgrade. 8 will be passed over like vista was and Windows 9 (or what ever they call the next one) will be the next OS of choice in the business environment. Especially with 8's oh so intuitive Metro UI. Unless businesses upgrade to touch friendly devices, it will not catch on. But who really knows, 8 could very well be the next XP. It is pretty lightweight, and with their new secure boot loader, its too early to tell.
    Last edited by chaosclown; March 12th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Win8's BIGGEST plus is a one size fits all OS
    mobile - Check
    fondleslab - Check
    workstations - Check
    laptops - check

you get the picture
    once MS actually GET a slab out there
    then it will be a damn sight easier to secure in the enterprise than trying to accomodate Apple / Linux etc

Seven OU's to pool them
    with one GPO to rule them

and Nihil, NHS have several licenses in action
    and cost is always a factor
    yes, we image the PC when it arrives
    but why buy a pre-installed Win7 PC that has to be imaged with XP, as it has a paper trail to cover the downgrade, so that in time it can be upgraded back to what it started with

feck it
    me needs cognac
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

@chaosclown:

In my opinion, there is no real reason businesses should be looking to upgrade. 8 will be passed over like vista was and Windows 9 (or what ever they call the next one) will be the next OS of choice in the business environment.
    Well, as far as Vista is concerned it was overlooked because of the potential issues of trying to roll it out into a mature (mixed) hardware environment.

Personally, I tried it on a machine that exeeded all the MS published minimum requirements by 100% or better. It ran like a total load of crap and was quite unstable. I have since installed Windows 8 32bit on the same box and it runs just fine, albeit a bit slow. That, BTW is with Ultimate and all eyecandy turned ON..... I had it switched OFF for Vista Home Premium.

It seems to me that this is going to be a matter of timing, as Windows XP support ends in April 2014? Windows 9 or whatever certainly won't be ready and have attained maturity by then, which leaves a choice of Windows 7 or 8.

I would guess that if you were looking to upgrade from XP in the last quarter of 2013 or first quarter of 2014 then you would be looking at Windows 8? Particularly as it should have got to SP1 by then? Any later than that and it just has to be Windows 8.

Unless businesses upgrade to touch friendly devices
    I have certainly noticed a tendency towards this in the high street, banks, and shopping malls............ basically "customer facing" and EPOS deployments.

@Foxy~

but why buy a pre-installed Win7 PC that has to be imaged with XP, as it has a paper trail to cover the downgrade, so that in time it can be upgraded back to what it started with
    To sell it on at a better price when you replace it? You really only get discounts for volume, as the vendors know you will reimage when you get them.

and cost is always a factor
    Exactly!............. I wonder if there will be a "dumbed down for old hardware" version available on corporate licence?

Mind you, I have been testing it on technology that is 10 years' old or more so that might not be such an issue except possibly in developing nations.