Thread: Who is blocking the remote desktop connection?

Who is blocking the remote desktop connection?

So I have a PC in my office and I used to remotely connect to it from home but then I installed the fsecure on the PC and I was not able to connect anymore. I uninstalled the fsecure completely and even restarted the PC but still I cannot connect remotely!
    I was wondering if there is any tool to allow me trace which process is blocking the remote access to my PC.
    Please help. Thank you
    Last edited by boyboy400; March 23rd, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Try the uninstall tool....Also, check your Router to see if it used uPNP to set a rule without you knowing on setup.....

http://webtrickz.com/f-secure-uninst...nremoval-tool/
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Hi there BB,

Bin so please forgive............ which machine was FSecure installed on?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Bin so please forgive............ which machine was FSecure installed on?
    hahaha it was installed on the PC in my office and now is not anymore. I used to connect from my laptop at home to that PC.

PS. Fact: First, I tried to allow the remote desktop connection in Fsecure settings and I did (maybe in a wrong way!) but it was not successful then decided to uninstall it completely.
    Fact2: I just noticed something else has happened at the same time! I had McAfee already installed on the Win 7 system on the PC. Apparently it has a trial period of one year or something which is gone so when I went back to check the McAfee settings I was not able to do that. It asked me to upgrade which obviously I declined and then decided to uninstall McAfee as well and did so and restarted the PC. Still, I cannot connect remotely :| .
    The error I get now is " This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator."
    The error I used to get before these uninstallations was something like the remote computer does not allow remote connections and contact the administrator or something!!!!

What remote client are you using? mswin factory default, virtual, some other 3rd party ware?
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Quote Originally Posted by IcSilk View Post
    What remote client are you using? mswin factory default, virtual, some other 3rd party ware?
    Sorry I don't know! The PC has Win7 installed on and I have Vista at home so just go to the start menu, type "remote" and click on "remote desktop connection" that's all what I do

I don't mess with RDC, but my first thought is that F-secure left some sort of artifact after uninstall. this may or may not be the issue, this may or may not be even close to the issue.

This may not be, and probably isn't a physical artifact left behind like a vagabond config file; but rather a security setting that wasn't reverted after the f-secure uninstall like a closed communication port or blocking RDP or anything. You probably have already done this, but initially I'd check to make sure all the RDC settings are still in place.

Then make sure you've completely removed all remnants of f-secure (and McAfee) from the remote system. Those would be my first two steps.

You can also, then use Process Explorer to filter through any unrecognized or rogue processes doing their deeds on the system. ProcEx is free, straightforward and well made.
    Last edited by IcSilk; March 30th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily