Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenSUSE 12.1 Nvidia Drivers

I can't even imagine how a Monitor being turned on or off would crash. That's odd man.

No....There was a button in the program labeled monitor that when I pressed it, the program itself would crash. Not the actual system.

However on a side note. The dvi to vga adapter was not the actual cause of my resolution problems. It was actually a vga extender cable thingy I was using because I had a really short vga cable. I guess it caused the os to think I had a CRT 4:3 monitor and not the actually LCD 16:9. But, sadly I have switched back to windows, atleast for now anyway. SUSE was started to act up a bit. Every now and then everything would lock up but I could still move the mouse. Then when I introduced bluetooth and a wireless usb adapter it would kick off my other usb devices. I love how resource friendly Linux is, especially since I wanted to start running virtual machines. I'll have to sit down and configure SUSE one of these days but for now Windows will have to do. Plus adobes got photoshop cs6 beta available for download

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html

Hey, when this thing froze up, did you load a Terminal or switch to one of the TTYs and see what was going on?

I know SUSE does have some scripts it runs all the time, so it may have very well been the security and log checks that it runs. You can configure it to run them at different times or even shut them off.

When I run SUSE on my Laptop for example, I don't run them because they take too much time up, because it's basically running a Password cracker on the Password file, and then it runs a full security check, and then it starts running **** like checking the system and everything to see what's changed, and then, all of the results of ALL of that get Emailed to root and or an email account you can set up.

You can configure the whole thing in YAST of course, but it's just an idea. I'm just wondering what it was that caused the freeze up, and I remembered that when I used SUSE on one of my Servers, it ran that all the time, and for the while it took, it appeared frozen when in reality it was simple running the scans and checks.

Wow i didnt know it did all that. I didnt even think to do that. I'll have to reinstall and see if that is what was really going on.

Hmm, interesting.

My take is that NVIDIA usually provide the best support for Unix/Linux installations, at least in comparison with ATI/AMD. I have no NVIDIA cards that just won't work, but I do have ATI ones (OK PCI without the "e" )

SLI can be a bit strange as this box has NVIDIA graphics management software installed and NVIDIA onboard graphics, but an HD5670 graphics card and drivers. When I cold boot it goes to 1024x768 which is the lowest supported resolution and is a 4:3 aspect ratio, or 1.3333. 16:9 is 1.7777, and 15:9 (old PC widescreen standard) is 1.6666. It goes to 1920x1080 when I restart.

It is a 16:9 22" screen and worked just fine with a GeForce 8500GT card and SLI.

I have no idea what 1600x1050 is (apart from 1.5238:1), but I think that it should be 1600x900, which is obviously 16:9

Apart from possible attachment issues, I would recommend using "standard" settings to begin with.