Thread: Computer getting hang on accessing one specific drive, clueless on what's the issue.

Exclamation Computer getting hang on accessing one specific drive, clueless on what's the issue.

Hey people
    I've started to face an unusual problem lately. I have a 500Gig Samsung SATA HDD. I've partitioned it into 4 partitions -

c: - 50Gb - OS
    d: - 149Gb - misc data,setup's
    e: - 100gb - documents
    f: - 165gb - music,video,movies and other media

I'm currently running windows 7. I have a core2duo pc with 2gig ram.

Now, whenever i access f: manually, the computer gets hanged. Say, whenever i open f:, the pc starts scanning the drive for contents, and then gets hanged. Initially, the window gets hanged, but other open aplications work, and after say 30 seconds(the time is an assumption), everything hangs. After that, the only option left is reboot. Also, when i reboot after that, cmos does not detect the HDD. I unplug the SATA cable, and then replug it, and only then the HDD becomes detectable.

If i try to play the media using the windows media player, the system doesn't get hang. But, sooner or later one needs to access the drive to copy new files, or delete some.

I tried disk defragmenting, but nothig helped.

This problem is with f: only. I face this problem in windows only. I tried with Ubuntu live cd, and the drive works well. Googling didn't help. Am still unable to get what is this problem basically - hardware or software.

So guys, help me out. Need your suggestions asap.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Have you run a boot time scandisk on the drive? There may be a flaky sector or 2. Does the computer make any extra noises while the drive is active?
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

[QUOTE=fourdc;963059]Have you run a boot time scandisk on the drive? There may be a flaky sector or 2. Does the computer make any extra noises while the drive is active?[/QUTE]

If noise is heard which mean the disk is going failed at any point of time. Time for a change of new hard disk.

No noise on reading the drive.

Tried, but cannot perform boottime scan on f:. Tried recovery console scan, but it didn't find anything. Boottime scan on c:didn't find anything.

One of my friends says that it might be a problem with an OS and asks me to format and reinstall the OS. Could that help? What are your views?

IMHO, you should reformat the drive (low-level) and delete all partitions. Just assign folders. Partitioning used to be an issue with MS-DOS that can't handle cache for a drive with a size greater than 33MB. Nowadays, even a 1TB drive can be handled. Access is faster...

A caveat: Once a portion of the drive is corrupted and chkdsk /f /r fails to recover it, then the whole drive is rendered useless.

**[It used to be 30MB with MS-DOS, if my memory {no RAM here} serves right.]
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Problem resolved at the moment. Wondering how? Here it is

I booted into ubuntu live cd, accessed the drive, and thought of possible issues. I just deleted system volume info and recycler. Thats it. There were a few folders that were deleted too(they contained two movies - including Hitman :P )

As of now, the drive's working absolutely fine Will something turn up in the future -don't know. But am relaxed at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Hi sumiprateek,

It isn't your drive, it is the partition contents my friend.

Windows Exploder (explorer) has found a file that it doesn't understand, and that doesn't trip the usual escape/error message exit mechanism.

It has been effectively left with a "divide by zero" instruction, and might be expected to take some time about it?

I had the same thing Yesterday with a GeForce video card running HDMI............... just got a lock and a grey screen............ but that was Win8 Beta It ran OK with DVI-D, but not HDMI.

I am afraid that we just have to live with these things?