Thread: Weird DVD Issue

Weird DVD Issue

Hey Folks,

I am trying to figure out a weird issue for a friend's dad. He has one of the HP all-in-one computers running Win7. Kind of a wannabe iMac. Lately his DVD drive has been crapping out, giving the error code 39. I found some stuff online talking about lower and higher settings in the registry, disabling AV, etc. [he uses kaspersky] But while I was looking around, he found a tool from HP that is supposed to fix any errors with the drive. He ran that, and it started working again. The weird part is that if he shuts his computer down for a bit, and then starts it back up, the drive is gone again. If he just restarts the computer, it stays loaded.

I know I am not providing very much info, but I haven't actually looked at it yet. Just seeing if anyone has any ideas before I head over there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Removing the upper filters has always worked for me in the past (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060) even though it says for Windows 7 use the built in troubleshooter. As far as the drive disappearing, that is ALSO a Windows 7 "feature" that doesn't work right even if you disable it (Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Uncheck "Hide Empty Drives in the Computer Folder) and may or may not be related to the problem. The number one thing to try to fix it, especially on an HP Drive is to download the latest Firmware for it and flash it.....It will update any old compatibility issues and sometime add new features. Good luck....... Wazz
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Hey Wazz,

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot, as well as check the upper filters. I will post back once I check it out.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Very good.....let us know how you make out.....
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this. Had several things come up that prevented me from checking out the system.

I couldn't find the key in the registry regarding the filters, so I started looking at other things. I then discovered that the DVD drive appeared and worked correctly in safemode. So I disabled a couple of startup items, [Kaspersky, SB S&D Teatimer, and Malware Bytes {Full paid version}] and rebooted.

The DVD drive was back. So I started enabling those items one by one...

first Kaspersky, rebooted... still there.

Then Spybot, rebooted... still there.

Then Malwarebytes, rebooted... still there??

I showed the owner of the system how to disable startup items, and told him that if it happened again to disable those one by one, rebooting each time. That was on Saturday, and I haven't heard from him since. Not sure that it is fixed... but it was a daily occurrence before that, and I told him to call me if he had any more trouble, and that I would take another look free of charge.

-HST

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    and that I would take another look free of charge.
    NOOOOOOOO :P
    always tempting to give freebies to family and friends, but it IS your time they are taking, even if they only offer a case of beer, accept it

I have spent WAY to much time on free work [Pro Bono? ] to have any more truck with it, plus, I NEED THE MONEY
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone