Dead Man Walking?

Thread: Dead Man Walking?

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar

Dead Man Walking?

Is your PC a dead man walking?.................. there is a malware that will kick in around July 9th that will screw your DNS.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2340642.story

If you check the lower part of the article there is a tool to check if your system is working properly....perhaps

Props to the Chicago Tribune & the FBI

If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Also check out this article on techrepublic - http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/sec...63?tag=nl.e036
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Probably two or three actual DNS servers where effected. Meanwhile, everyone else pretty much got their hosts file overwritten...

Who cares.

It's not the host file it's the network settings in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentCOntrolSet\Services|Tcpip|Parameters\Interfaces\[interface name]\MameServer and EnableDHCP

That are modified. The change is reflected in the Network Properties GUI.

And with ipconfig but I'm with Ted... Who Cares?

This is much more efficient...

Code:
    function geoip_country_name_by_addr($gi, $addr) { if ($gi->databaseType == GEOIP_CITY_EDITION_REV1) { $record = geoip_record_by_addr($gi,$addr); return $record->country_name; } else { $country_id = geoip_country_id_by_addr($gi,$addr); if ($country_id !== false) { return $gi->GEOIP_COUNTRY_NAMES[$country_id]; } } return false; } function getdnsattributes ($l,$ip){ $r = new Net_DNS_Resolver(); $r->nameservers = array(“ws1.maxmind.com”); $p = $r->search($l.”.” . $ip .”.s.maxmind.com”,”TXT”,”IN”); $str = is_object($p->answer[0])?$p->answer[0]->string():’’; ereg(“\”(.*)\””,$str,$regs); $str = $regs[1]; return $str;
    }
    AND

Code:
    $user_agent = $_SERVER[‘HTTP_USER_AGENT’] function getbrowserver(& $MSIEversion, & $OPERAversion) { $uag = $_SERVER[‘HTTP_USER_AGENT’]; if ( strstr( $uag, “Firefox” ) ) { if ( preg_match( “#Firefox/(\\d+\\.?\\d*\\.?\\d*)#s”, $uag, $mt ) ) { return “Firefox v{$mt[1]}”; } return “Firefox”; } ........................ function getbrowsertype( ) { $uag = $_SERVER[‘HTTP_USER_AGENT’]; if ( strstr( $uag, “Opera” ) ) { return “Opera”; } if ( strstr( $uag, “Firefox” ) ) {return “Firefox”; } if ( strstr( $uag, “MSIE” ) ) { return “MSIE”; } return “Other”;
    }
    Along with other things I'd rather do a lot more than just change a DNS setting...
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Thanx for sharing this nice information.

Already been hit!

My employer hijacks my DNS every time I sign in
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?