Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA update problem

Hybrid View

NVIDIA update problem

OK folks, I'm not sure how widespread this might be.

I am looking at a GeForce 210 assembled by Asus (and I like Asus video cards). The OS is Vista (Home Premium) and we have a bog standard AMD Sempron 145 + 4GB DDR2 800MHz et cetera....

The latest updates from Microsoft and NVIDIA themselves fail when you try to play a video. The OS loads just fine, and works OK.............video freezes to a blank screen.

The solution is to reload the drivers/software from the CD or the manufacturer's website.

Sorry for the 101 fault finding post, but this sort of problem with NVIDIA is pretty much unheard of in my experience.

Did the machine come from Dell or HP etc??? If so, you'd need to get the drivers from them.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hi Nihil, I also love ASUS cards, they seem to stand the test of time. I am running 2 newer cards but I did run into some problem with the latest BETA drivers, I presume you are using the official version? Also, are you referring to the latest OS updates?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

@ Steve:

Nope, this is an out-of-the-box EN210 Silent card installed into something that is probably best not mentioned in front of the children ]

It is a boxed retail version of Vista..............legitimate

@ Cider

1. This is the driver that Windows Update installs, and I guess the one from NVIDIA also?

2. Yes, it is the latest from Windows update and from NVIDIA

I messed around as I first got the problem with HDMI, so I suspected an audio link issue?........not so, it would seem.

All my other ASUS boards are ATI/AMD...........

I am an ASUS fanboi for video cards because they are competitively priced and seem to be slightly underclocked; which makes them cool and reliable.

//Note to ASUS videocard division:

Better looking semi-nekkid wimmin on the box please //

And don't forget to wish me happy birthday at the end of the month..............

@ SwordFish 13:

Hi, have you tried completely removing the NVIDIA drivers and management software then re-installing the drivers from the XFX site?

NVIDIA are constantly updating their firmware/software to tune it to the latest games, so I guess these sort of problems are to be expected once in a while?

This machine has a GeForce 6200 which is by either XFX or PNY..........it is running XP Pro. The other one (6200) is running Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Ultimate 32 bit). Neither have a problem, nor does my 8400GS, running XP Home.

What OS are you running btw?

AntiOnline n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    @ SwordFish 13:

Hi, have you tried completely removing the NVIDIA drivers and management software then re-installing the drivers from the XFX site?

NVIDIA are constantly updating their firmware/software to tune it to the latest games, so I guess these sort of problems are to be expected once in a while?

This machine has a GeForce 6200 which is by either XFX or PNY..........it is running XP Pro. The other one (6200) is running Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Ultimate 32 bit). Neither have a problem, nor does my 8400GS, running XP Home.

What OS are you running btw?
    Hi,

Well have tried a lot of things. It worked beautifully until it was in warranty , three years or something.

I am running Windows XP. I tried re-installing the drivers and even tried re-installing Windows. It worked fine on a fresh copy of windows until the drivers for the GPU were installed.

I also noticed a Blue strips running down the the center of the screen sometimes and other time they vanished

Well I got myself a new Zotac Nvidia 210 and its working fine so i am all good.
    Last edited by SwordFish_13; May 14th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

I have been struggling with my XFX NVDIA 6800 GT card for over a month, Works fine without the drivers(of-course bad display), but as soon as the drivers are installed the OS refuses to boot.

Time for a new GPU i guess.

Good Luck

I have seen this time and time again nihil, the problem is with the nv4.sys file (check your crash dumps). Your solution is the only one I have found....Never use Microsoft Update for Graphics Drivers...always straight from Nvidia.......I have even had to boot into safe mode after removing the current driver to delete this file manually.....Argh!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

A few times Nvidia will bundle the wrong drivers in there latest forceware updates, especially with there older cards. There release log on the update will say it has support for a certain card but they actually forgot to put the driver in there. I've had to either roll back to a previous version or edit the update and add the driver.

I've had problems with windows version of a driver, oem versions, and manufacturer versions. You kind of have to wing it. Usually the manufacturer version works the best though.

Hi, a bit of an update.

I have NVIDIA cards in Windows XP Home, Pro, 2000Pro and Windows 8 32-bit machines...... no problems there. This is a new card running Win 8 64bit, and the only one I have from ASUS with an NVIDIA chipset.

The MS update was 295.73, whilst the NVIDIA one was 296.10.

I uninstalled the Asus SmartDoctor and Gamer's OSD software as it seemed to be conflicting at boot and shutdown. That seemed to fix most of the problems apart from the fact that I still couldn't get any sound.

Silly boys NVIDIA.............. you spotted the exact model of LG 22" monitor I was using............... so why did you try to use your HDMI sound system when the damn thing doesn't have any speakers?

I just set it back to the VIA HD Audio chipset on the MoBo and all is now well.

Like I said, this is a 32bit Vista Home premium box, and it scores the card 5.7 out of 5.9 for Aero and 5.2 for gaming ( a GeForce 210 for gaming????????????) I suspect it might be interacting with the onboard NVIDIA video?