Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is scandsys107f_8028?

Friend of Site Staff
    If you go online without a antivirus installed, it takes abot 15 seconds to become infected!

The security suites are still not mature and have been known to cause problems for folks.

MSE , Malwarebytes and sitting behind a router are what I use on my computers and laptop. Yes, I have gone about a year and half with out , chickened out and installed a antivirus and the next day a site admin and I figured out the nasty I caught came from the ad server. And as noted, Linux, because of the small percentage of users, is not targeted light Windows and now Apple.

If you go online without a antivirus installed, it takes abot 15 seconds to become infected!
    I am afraid that that is absolute nonsense! The 15 seconds is unsubstantiated in this day and age.............back in the days of Sasser, Code Red and the like, it might have been true, but not now.

Now, we are talking internet worms here are we not? so AV is total crap.......... what you need is an effective firewall.

Friend of Site Staff
    An effective firewall, I agree, but I found very few people even know what a firewall is.

The money is good, but I got burned out teaching clients not to get infected with in the first minute while trying to get the updates.

Maybe you were lucky, I was not.

OK, I think that you see where I am coming from?

Back in the day (2001) When Windows XP was released, it had a built-in firewall, that wasn't turned on by default.

Around 2003/4 we had Code Red, Sasser and the rest; so the firewall was turned on by default in SP1 or 2?

These days the "security suites" and Windows have their own inbuilt firewalls, turned on by default, but it is those that protect you from the worms, rather than the AV element.

Basically we are in a catch 22 situation............ if the (L)users knew enough, we wouldn't have anything to charge them for

I do recall when the exposure time was measured in seconds, but I last read that this is now more like 30 minutes or so?

As for being lucky, I don't think so, as I have mostly worked in corporate IT. Only since I semi-retired to the coast have I worked for private customers. Hey! this place is so sticksville I don't have a problem; I am "the computer guy" so they don't mess with anything.

Friend of Site Staff
    98, WinMe, 2k and XP before the change, yep, when it got down to the time factor I brought out, The next SP turned it on.
    So, they reinstall let us say XP and do not install the SPs before going on line. <shudder> and I gave them the SPs on cd.

Thanks nihil and others.

In a day or two I hope to try a few things in safe mode. Meanwhile, I'd like to stay with the idea of a targeted attack. Let's say I have an online enemy. How would this person attack my puter? How would I experience these attacks? There is no pattern to these Ad Aware shutdown windows: some days quite a few, others none at all. If it were a virus on my machine, wouldn't it manifest itself with regularity?

I'm wary of adding too much stuff to my 2005 HP pc. Once I loaded McAfee for which I should have had the capacity, and my system crashed--so no more McAfee. Most of my crashes are system 32 failures caused by a hanging download, i.e., the system failed to shut down properly and required a manual shut off, which caused a big crash. After the last crash I got a clean re-install of Windows. With automatic updates, I no longer see security downloads at shutdown, so no hanging downloads--big relief for me.

I still run Office 2000, which I much prefer to the bloated later editions.

Years ago, my pc at the time became so clogged with viruses in a short time that one morning I could not turn it on. I asked the techie who cleaned up the machine if that could have been a deliberate attack and he said, quite possibly. So I'm not paranoid that my machine might be currently under attack, albeit a weak one.

I run CCleaner before I pack it in for the night.

Thanks,

Friend of Site Staff
    Do you have a router between you pc and the modem?

Or are you using dailup, dsl or cable if you do not?.

Let's say I have an online enemy. How would this person attack my puter?
    They would need to know your IP address or be physically close enough to your wireless router.

We don't know enough about your system to say much more than that. In my case if I turn off the router I get a new IP address when I turn it back on. Your IP may tell you that you have a "volatile" address, but that only happens when you switch off or have a crash, Typically you have to pay extra for a permanent IP addy. [my experience is limited to the UK here]

If your Ad-Aware problems are random then that suggests some sort of corruption/conflict............I would just re-install it as a first move.

Mr. Maxwell,

My earlier posts on this site (circa 2002) were concerned with the activities of an obsessed individual who, over time and with the aid of corrupt police officers and persons at AT&T, gained ungodly powers with the telephone, probably attacked my computer and most certainly read my hotmail. That individual is alive today.

Count yourself lucky if you have never met such a person, and don't think your online/offline experience is the measure of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    You sound like a News Paper Headline. lol.

And as noted, Linux, because of the small percentage of users, is not targeted light Windows and now Apple.
    That's a load. I've been hearing this same thing for years now. More than half the Web Servers on the Internet are Apache. Apache, has source code, and, most Web Servers today, are an Open Source version of Unix. Windows is only the big boy on Desktops. In the Server World though, Unix is still the top dog. So saying that no one writes **** for those OSs because they have no user base, is not only incorrect, it's almost laughable when you consider that if you REALLY want to target the best potential out there, Servers are WAY more lucrative than Desktops, and yet it still doesn't happen.

I'd LOVE to hear any of you pop up with something saying anything other than "Windows just wasn't designed right and EVERY version in use today is STILL based on a POS called NT written mainly by a jack off from VMS which sucks too"

Apache IS the most used Web Server on the net. FreeBSD and Linux ARE the main OSs in terms of Servers. Both have source code available, and both are used WAY more than not. So, saying Windows has more users, is only true for PCs.

Code Red took out a lot of Servers. Windows Servers, but still Servers. The fact is, most Web Servers are NOT running Windows, and so why are no "virii boys" going after those? I don't know about you but If I wrote Viruses or anything like that, I'd want mine to kick the **** out of Servers. Desktops are easy, Servers can take down entire companies.

Mind you it's 2:42 AM, and I'm a little out of it, so my post MIGHT be a little hard to understand. I'm late for work, and I was on a bender in Detroit all night. But Apache and BSD and Linux, are the main things running the Internet. That's why I can't stand people saying "The ONLY reason no one targets Linux and BSD and any other Unix is no one uses it enough" when it's hard to deny that most Servers ARE using it. The real truth is that Windows just blows at Security.