Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hard Drive Speeds

Friend of Site Staff
    "hot swap bays"

Sure did not want to try that with 98.

First USB hdd was USB 1.1 and was 12 GB in size.
    Man it took forever to transfer files.

Sure did not want to try that with 98
    It seems to be possible with 98 Second Edition?

http://www.cineraid.com/products/home_h458.htm

Not that I would spend 250 bucks to find out

Actually I think that the way we use the term over here is a misnomer, and that "PnP" would be more appropriate. You mustn't swap the drive if it is active on the ones that I have seen, so they are not true hot-swap, they just look a bit like it.

Actually, the Cineraid design looks very similar to my removable drive bays.

First USB hdd was USB 1.1 and was 12 GB in size.
    Man it took forever to transfer files.
    Arrrgh! that must have been painful? back then you had USB stick drives of 64, 128, 256MB, and anything bigger was exceptional.

I guess that USB started life as a connection for HIDs like keyboard, mouse & game controllers? You didn't have to reboot. The stick drives were also an alternative to 3.5" floppies and Iomega Zip or LS120 drives?

I seem to recall that most PCs came with a read only CD drive......burners were expensive as were the disks.

I still have USB 1.1 on an old legacy support machine running Windows 2000 Pro. It has a scanner, drawing tablet, and joystick that won't work with anything after Win 2000. It is plenty fast enough for those.

Update on sub-topic

I mentioned the slow performance of an ASUS Net-book in an earlier post.

Eventually I will replace the 5,400rpm electro-mechanical drive with an SSD, but in the meantime I stuck a 4GB supermarket badged SDHC card in the slot, and told it to use it for ReadyBoost exclusively.

That has produced a noticeable improvement in responsiveness, although I haven't tested actual performance as yet.

This is a generic 4GB SDHC card that is rated Class 6................the Patriot 8GB Class 10 is on its way

For those who don't know, the SDHC "Class" number is the data transfer rate in megabytes that it supports.

PS. The OS is Windows 7 Starter Edition.

Friend of Site Staff
    It was 98 SE I used the USB drive on. A old AMD 380 powered compaq.
    Sorry got a phone call and had to disappear. She is doing better now.

A hard disk is essentially the brains of a computer.
    No it isn't......................it is its memory. The "brains" would be the processor and RAM, as that is where the computer's equivalent of the EGO lives. As a bot, I don't expect you to understand psychology, so EGO = conscious thought

Computers, of course, don't have a SUPEREGO; that's us, the users. OK, I can hear you asking "what about Net Nanny" and the like?...........well it's us who install them, and they run in RAM?

What about the ID?..............well that is partly the subconscious of the user and partly the BIOS

Hot Damn!...... I just knew that that master's in educational psychology would come in useful sometime

EDIT:

I deleted the bot's post as it contained personal information, it said:

A hard disk is essentially the brains of a computer. It is a digital data-storing device and consists of a hard and rigid circular platter housed in a metal case, which is driven by a motorized spindle. These platters magnetically store data that is encoded by read and write heads, which float on a cushion of air above the platters.
    Last edited by nihil; July 21st, 2012 at 12:27 PM.