Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of known Operating Systems

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Ummm..... Coffee Cup..... Tell me.... HOW THE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?>>?????? OMG!

Dude, I sat on Google one day for literally an HOUR looking for just ONE verified Picture!

OMG!

OK, just so it's "Verified" while I nut myself, PLEASE reply, and give details as to what you have now posted to this thread, which, because of that, I'm now going to make sticky.... And then I'm gonna make it a sticky at the top lol.
    It wasn't that difficult to find.

I've seen the actual machine in person ( Well not the machine in the picture i linked to). I should still have some very very old polaroid pictures laying about someplace.

*Edit & Off-topic*

Allen your right, after further research it appears that we have 2 charlatans amongst us... There posts read like a Wikipedia entry.....
    Last edited by HYBR|D; July 16th, 2012 at 07:03 AM.

IBM S/32

http://www.divini.net/~benedetti/blog/?page_id=223

Sorry about the Italian, but the top picture is the S/32 and the bottom one the contemporary 8" floppy editor that I mentioned.

The S/32 OS was SCP "System Control Program", so it was different from the S/34 + S/36 that were in turn different from the S/38.

When Windows 95 hit Shelves, and people were lining up for a taste, it didn't have any form of USB yet.
    But it was supposed to, so if you look at an original Win95 box, it has USB ports, whilst the next generation did not. For example, my Packard Bell Executive 928 (PI/150MHz) does not. Machines that were pre-loaded with Win950B, do have USB ports. I have a 950B build 1212 CD that actually states "USB support" on the face. I have tried installing that bit onto 950A machines, and it doesn't work, so I don't think that USB was the only difference.

That's not the ONLY guy to make a PC back then though in the UK. I'm trying to think of the guy's name, but there is one more guy, who deserves to be on there. He's in Bizarre Magazine as one of the top 50 geeks of all time.
    That would be Sir Clive Sinclair of Sinclair Spectrum and ZX80 fame. His company started off making calculators then moved into PCs.

Last edited by nihil; July 16th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Also there was a third Windows 95 C release, that looked like Windows 98 it had IE4 intergrated. I actually had a copy way back in 98.

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    It wasn't that difficult to find.

I've seen the actual machine in person ( Well not the machine in the picture i linked to). I should still have some very very old polaroid pictures laying about someplace.

*Edit & Off-topic*

Allen your right, after further research it appears that we have 2 charlatans amongst us... There posts read like a Wikipedia entry.....
    That's awesome. I've never seen one in person. I'd love to get a chance to though considering just how important it is. As for the Wikipedia stuff; I used Wikipedia for a lot of what I did. I had a list of web sites that had Operating Systems listed, but I ended up using like 4 to make this list.

It took a while JUST on sorting it heh.

That would be Sir Clive Sinclair of Sinclair Spectrum and ZX80 fame. His company started off making calculators then moved into PCs.
    Yes that would be him

EDIT:

This is something I'm thinking about adding:

http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/pr...9-msu-freebsd/

I can add this to the "Differences between the BSDs" thread I made, but being of historical content as well, I think I can link most of the Sticky threads together after this.
    Last edited by gore; July 17th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Nicely said,good write up, well put..
    Top operating systems are,

Linux
    Unix
    Windows XP
    Mac OS X
    Solaris
    Windows Vista
    Microsoft Windows
    FreeBSD
    Windows 7

Here are 5 of the operating systems that i have used from best to worst IMHO

1.Windows 98SE
    2.Windows XP Pro
    3.Windows 3.1
    4.Windows ME
    5.X-tree
    6.DOS
    7.Windows Vista
    8.Linux
    9.Windows NT
    10. Whatever the operating system on a mac is called....

Hmmmmm............................

Here are 5 of the operating systems that i have used from best to worst IMHO

1.Windows 98SE
    2.Windows XP Pro
    3.Windows 3.1
    4.Windows ME
    5.X-tree
    6.DOS
    7.Windows Vista
    8.Linux
    9.Windows NT
    10. Whatever the operating system on a mac is called....

Bartender! might I have a pint of whatever that gentleman has been drinking?I see 10 in that list

Windows ME is better than Linux, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) and Apple's Macintosh O/S? OMG! I have never heard even the most dyed in the wool, partisan, Windows fanboi even suggest such a thing It is the "unfinished symphony" of Microsoft operating systems if you just look at the timeline? (The Apple O/S is called "Mackintosh" after the small red Canadian eating apple)

Microsoft already had decided to unify their operating system with Windows XP but they knew that they had to progress with NT 5.0 (2000) as their business customers are not early adopters, unlike private new computer buyers who are given no choice. The upgrade from NT 4.0 SP6a would be acceptable, whilst the new O/S would not until it had been proven.

They were thus developing XP and 2000 at the same time, but already had an investment in Windows ME, which they decided to monetize for the millenium Now, I personally think that was a pretty disgusting and cynical marketing stroke, but that's what they did. Makes me kinda embarassed to admit that I am a Microsoft "business partner" until I remember an old Jewish gentleman once telling me that the definition of business partners was: "two thieves with their hands so deep in eachother's pockets that they cannot independently plunder a third"

I discovered that the solution was to give it 384~512MB of RAM and that overcame its memory leak problem. If you gave it more than 512MB it again became unstable, just like 95, 98 and 98SE

I do not think that DOS or Windows 3.1 belong in the list as the former does not have a GUI and the latter is DOS with a fancy GUI riding on top.

Comparisons with Linux and Mackintosh are also invalid as there are many variants and you would need to be as familiar with them as with Windows for it not to be you, rather than the OS.

Vista I had great problems with, even on a rig with over twice the minimum recommended specs in all departments. After about a year of messing around with various hardware combinations I got it running just fine on a single core Sempron 2.8GHz with 4B of DDR2 800MHz..................the original machine ran the Windows 7 betas just fine ???

So, my ratings are:

1. Windows 7
    2. Windows XP
    3. Windows 2000
    4. Windows 98SE
    5. Windows NT 4.0
    6. Windows Vista
    7. Windows ME

Obviously, I am talking about end user satisfaction/experience rather than any technical or security consideration.

south of heaven, UNDERGROUND!@undergroundsystems.co
    nice list.. didnt realize there were so many OS's out there. most people are just us to some version of Windows and/or any flavor of Linux. thanks

This is very exclusive post. I am seeking such kind of article about operating system.

Jahid

I think Banyan Vines is missing.

Gyugyu
    Gyugyu