Thread: Patching Managed Servers

Patching Managed Servers

Hello All,

we have some out of site managed servers based in Germany. We are on minimal support contract, the vendor only covers hardware all OS and software installations are done by us. They have Windows Server 2008 WEb installed on them. I can see there are 100's of outstanding patches which needed to be installed but I am unable to make any plan for that. They are production servers. The issue is that if during install they get screwed how I will restore them to normal. I was thinking to create an image of the current system and then restore from there but unable to do so as I don't have any physical access to these systems. I have also access to console but it looks bare minimum as well. What you Gurus will recommend for this kind of situation?

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

I have our 7 servers do Win Updates at 1am Saturday morning... If one goes screwy I have all weekend....

But, out data center support guys would do a ton of stuff to get it backup and running...Including booting from a crash cart and doing last known.....

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response,
    issue with us that we have bought the servers and not on our premises and the supplier doesn't provide any support if there is a server failure. I need to resolve this and get it over this. any ideas about this kind of situation.

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

I'd sign a service contract or move the servers where you can get a service contract.

The one and only major disaster we have had - the Windows registry died... Our data center yanked the drive - placed it in a Linux machine and gave me access to it to get needed files off. In the meantime - they popped a new drive in and did a fresh install. I then copied my files back and took control of the rebuilt machine..... All this is included in the "lease" price of the machines.

I am thinking would it be safer that to have a backup program for your server? I think there are some backup programs that enable you to do backups with your server data (including your client's information, personal configurations etc).
    I used a todo server backup program for my windows server 2003. There is a good article about how to restore windows 2003 server showing you the detailed steps also.

How can I patch it?