Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 memory leak

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Windows 7 memory leak

Hi guys,

Running win7 x64 and this past week I have left my computer idle for some hours and started noticing some degraded computer performance when i wanted to use it for basic office stuff to gaming.

What I have found is that I am sitting at 3.5/4 GB of ram. So my first check was to see if anything was eating it and there wasn't. The list just didn't add up (yes i checked on all users).

I did some research and find sites that tell you to disable prefetch, superfetch etc but didn't make a difference.

On boot it sits around 1.2 and slowly creeps up, there is no noticable program I am using that is causing it so I am not actually sure now.

On closer inspection I have seen the nonpaged memory jump from 50 to 2200 (as I write this post) , I have tried to search for this but cant find any site that tells me exactly why its sky rocketing.

There is the argument of windows caching stuff but if I had to open up a large app , it would have very poor performance right now. It seems like windows is not letting go of "cached" memory when i want to utilize it.

I have only recently had this problem, never before or did I not notice it, highly doubt that. I have also changed my pagefile size from customer 1.5 X to windows managed. All apps updated.

Anyone with any experience in this , please let me know.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Last edited by Cider; February 19th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well, if it's only just started then I think we need to look at stuff that gets updated regularly.

1. Security software
    2. Browsers
    3. MS Windows.............and we have just had a patch Tuesday?

Please get a copy of Belarc Advisor and let it update and run. Scroll down the bottom and look for any updates with a red "X" against them. Uninstall and reinstall these patches.

If it isn't a screwed up Windows update then try closing all browser windows and tabs and see if the same thing happens.

Is your processor showing a high level of activity during the idle period? I use System Monitor II by Igogo to look at this.

Hi Nihil,

Already check with BA and there is nothing ...

CPU is not spiking at all, in fact its not doing much so its all the RAM.

I will close down my browsers and Skype and let it run overnight.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    What version of Skype we using Cider?

Closed everything except dropbox and its idling at 2.5 GB. Nonpaged is around 1600.

@ Hybrid, skype version is 5.8.0.154.

Now what is funny about skype is that on "check for updates" whilst on 5.5 it didn't have any. PSI then told me about the 5.8 update which I had to log into their site for.

This was after the fact though.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    Skype is the only real suggestion i have.

The last few version's have been having issue's. It's pretty well documented on a ton of different web forums.

Personally i have to restart my laptop after 2 1/2 hrs when i have skype in use or idling "Quietly" in the background.

also Chrome does tend to slowly munch memory after long periods of time. Although Skype would/is the main culprit.

Thanks Hybrid.

Do you have any idea how I can check why the Nonpaged is escalating like this? Surely there must be a way to check what file is causing it?
    Albert Einstein

SOLVED: Leak on the Nvidia beta drivers.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...c=222342&st=20

Note to self (don't install beta drivers on your only box).

ATI ftw, death to NVIDIA.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

Glad you found it, but for future reference this might help:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/1675

This is really for sorting out Windows memory error messages, but it should provide the information as to what is causing the increased usage and retention of non-paged memory.

Beta drivers? beta drivers!!!! shame on you sir, you only put beta drivers on test rigs or if you already have a driver problem and can't make matters much worse

I do have some NVIDIA boards, but I always let their software check for updates. No problems so far.

I disable betas and video card software in File Hippo. You may see something that looks OK but won't work for your particular board......... I once wasted a couple of hours learning that lesson

TBH, I generally buy AMD/ATI on price/performance and because I have always found that NVIDIA stuff tends to run rather hot. This is an HD 5670 and is at 35C after several hours, and the HD 6770 is at 41C. Ambient temp is 24C.

yeah, thanks for the advice . You know when you get "bored" and you decide hmm, what can I update now, or what app can I test ... it was one of those times .

Running a 560 and it runs at about 40C idle . Tbh I made a big mistake buying it. Great performance but yes , it warms up my whole house.
    Albert Einstein