Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help finding a *job* because I have a felony conviction.

I have a S corporation. If I ever want to go back to doing my own thing. It's something good to have, in the end I spent less than $1,000 for the tax, legal, financial advice to start up and filing fees - dot com name etc.

I will tell you this:

ALL LAYWERS ARE THEIFS - DO NOT GIVE THEM A RETAINER!
    Make sure you trust your financial advisor - Family members should not fill this roll.

To run a successful tech-repair type business you do not need:
    a web site
    business cards
    fancy hardware (iPad, etc)

You need to be HONEST, Available, and do good work.

People skills are a must and try to get BONDED. Most insurance companies will not bond you, however, If you get a partner they can approach the insurance company and bond the s-corp.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMaxwell View Post
    Quite the contrary. Its all true. You're garenteed to get a job if you pretend to be less intelligent, none career oriented, complete with a memorable hard-luck story worth entertaining them with.

Companys hire kids more often because they work for next to nil and generally quit before benefits are on the table, yet alone, retirement.

Since you're over the age of thirty, you'll need to make yourself seem mentally or physically handicapped. Then with a nudge and a wink... remind them that they get tax writeoffs for hiring people like this.
    Aaron Maxwell - You obviously, cannot help, so their's no need to be a "dick head" with your responses.

DINOWUFF

[QUOTE]ALL LAYWERS ARE THEIFS - DO NOT GIVE THEM A RETAINER!
    Make sure you trust your financial advisor - Family members should not fill this roll. [quote/]

Yes they are!

To run a successful tech-repair type business you do not need:
    a web site
    business cards
    fancy hardware (iPad, etc)

You need to be HONEST, Available, and do good work.

People skills are a must and try to get BONDED. Most insurance companies will not bond you, however, If you get a partner they can approach the insurance company and bond the s-corp.
    Thank you for the information. I do freelance work right now. Word of mouth is the way I've been going about my work. I'm honest, and I do great work, and my availability is wide open. I don't know to much about the insurance aspect of it but I'm going to look into being "bonded"...

On average how many computers do you guys fix/troubleshoot in a week? Either in a business environment or when your doing house calls? Also, what do you guys charge? Do you charge by the job or by the hour? Also, there is a shop here that charges 25 bucks to fix any PC not sure how to compete with that...

All help is greatly appreciated and thank you everyone that replied except you aaron maxwell =

I run a small WAN - a few hundred here and 80 plus in an out of state location.

I really am the Bastard SysAdmin so security is #1 Feck the users needs. I tell them what they need.

I use Microsoft Essentials to roll out patches and software, power shell to install software. I have a strict standard desktop policy (Users can't even change desktop background). I never have hardware over 4 years old, so since implementing that a while back - I don't think I have cracked a computer case in 6 - 7 years.

You can't do that as a small consultant.

So - I assume you only support windows - Get yourself Team Viewer!
    Learn how to set up and implement OpenDNS
    Get a few clients and start being their CIO. Tell them when hardware is about to fail (Team VIewer). Help them understand the value of keeping current. Do this for small businesses that don't have an IT department.

Charge $40 per hour. Minimum 4 hours a week. Just for the virtual CIO reports (Don't call them that).

After the first 4 hours:

Charge $55 per hour for remote support. (That will keep the idiot clerk from calling you 20 times a day asking how to change a font/jpg - open/close/save everything.

Charge $75 per hour for on site support. (Remember If you go on site to replace a failing HDD that You discovered via your reporting. Just charge them hardware cost - Include travel time in the hardware cost. I figure $0.85 per mile)

Wow that is exactly the information I needed...I do small time repair for a few local businesses; a real estate agency, autoshop, and a medical repair center. Being good at what I do is mainly what got me in the door. I charge like 20 bucks flat rate for almost everything I do, but that is do to the fact that I was seeing his as more of a hobby than a business. Heck, even charging them 20 bucks for jobs they tell me I need to charge more. In fact, they even pay me way more than the 20 bucks I asked for. I may consider doing this full time.

Team viewer is an awesome application, but since most of my clients are with in 5 miles of my house I'd rather show face. Dino I would love to know what you keep in your tool box for networking. Most of my calls are for networking issues. They don't run servers or anything like that just a few office pc's that one of which loves to play facebook games on.

Change your signature? Stating you "own" someone isn't going to do any good. To be honest, crime does pay. Liars do get ahead. Change your name, ssi etc. I have a friend who works for sbcglobal (a chick no less, lesbian but a chick is a chick) she is the wan SYS Admin for the midwest northern area. Thats what she did...

Pick a local isp and stalk the company (in a good way) Know every inch of the website and know the holes, typos, etc. Call them when something is wrong or goes down. They will get sick of it and hire you, that's how I got my job after my dui's...

Good luck, it is a rough world for sys admins over 30. I forget the movie but the quote goes "what do they do with 40 year old sys admins? They shoot them."
    The gene pool has no life guard!

Aaron... yes? they allow their routers to automatically use the full email address so phishing the password isnt that hard. Then we all know what happens if you have the user id and password...
    The gene pool has no life guard!

cc:

This should be everything you need. Please read everything under "Get up to Speed Fast"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sysinternals

How about mentioning it while you are interviewing? Before they have a chance to find out on their own. Bring it to their attention prior to the background check. Perhaps you could say, I was in a bit of trouble and was desperate and was convicted... blah blah blah. Say you've changed and you've moved on.

Furthermore, I too have started my own business. The best thing about starting your own business especially computer business is running it from your living room or basement. The worst thing you could do is rent a small office and put yourself in more financial problems.

Best of luck.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    thatgeekyboy
    How about mentioning it while you are interviewing? Before they have a chance to find out on their own. Bring it to their attention prior to the background check. Perhaps you could say, I was in a bit of trouble and was desperate and was convicted... blah blah blah. Say you've changed and you've moved on.

Furthermore, I too have started my own business. The best thing about starting your own business especially computer business is running it from your living room or basement. The worst thing you could do is rent a small office and put yourself in more financial problems.
    On every application (whether working at burger king, or Microsoft) they ask you, have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony? Some applications only ask for the past 5 to 7 years which is great and works in my favor. It's kind of hard to to bring to the interviewers attention, you have charges of burglary with assault, two hit and runs, (misdemeanors) 2 battery charges, marijuana charges, driving on a suspend license, and resisting police officers and numerous violations of state of probation i just need to open my own computer business. no company 9-5 will hire me. anybody know of any jobs that hire felons? if so, let me know

WOW.... Is that really your list? In your opening post you made it sound "singular" as in one conviction.

No offense, but as you know - there are tons of people looking for work that have never been arrested... When push comes to shove and all else being equal - the non felon is going to pretty much always get selected.

Most of the previous post will still apply.... Start your own business or team up with another one man show that needs the help.