Thread: I created a website portfolio please post comments and reviews

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

I created a website portfolio please post comments and reviews

Can you guys please give me feedback to my online portfolio to display my websites to clients on Craigslist. Please let me know what you think? Any change you would make to this site or should I just forget about it general? Also, please keep in mind it is under construction. http://annkp72.wix.com/web-portfolio

Help all is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
    Last edited by Computernerd22; January 21st, 2013 at 04:56 PM.

I will look into it that, thankks overall what do you think of the site?
    Last edited by Computernerd22; January 22nd, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

I don't like it. It's a "wired" gank, imo. Rollovers are needed. Make it flashy?
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I'd definitely take their template and just do something with the overly large text center of the homepage - Perfecto

That is what i'm thinking. The text on the main page is too big I haven't decided on what to do with it yet. on a side note, this is just a *rough draft*

I don't like it. It's a "wired" gank, imo. Rollovers are needed. Make it flashy?

Not sure what you mean by weird. Also, where would you place the rollovers? When you say it flashy, what would you different? i'm just trying to get different ideas so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

It's simple, clean, modern looking. I'm sure people will have no problem navigating the site. The font is large enough for individuals with impaired sight. Its not the snappiest website, not sure how well it will load for people with lesser connections. I seriously hope that the guy with the glasses is you, or you plan to replace it with a picture of you, because that would be mighty creepy. Overall, sight seems fine, however, any average Joe can create a Wix site. You should learn WordPress if your looking for something that has a modern feel to it. It's not necessarily for blogging anymore. It's easy enough to learn and its free. Plus most hosting companies support it right out the box.

Thank you, Chaosclown for the reply. It is simple, clean, and modern looking. I want to change the font on the homepage but running out of ideas. The guy in the picture is not me he came with the template. I'm trying to find a great pic I can use for my site. Do you have any ideas/inputs I can use to make my website a little more "snappier"? Web design is not my field as you can probably tell I do more internet security, but I looked on craigslist and I seen a lot of people needing their websites done so I figured create a website portfolio to see my work. Quick question if the site is 4-6 pages long how much would you charge? Per hour. per rate, last one i did it for $600.00 which i think was to cheap. Thank you everyone for the input and the fast replies.

Charge per page. You can never really charge per hour because alot of hours go in. Unforeseen hours, most of which will probably be of your own fault. I would ask around in your area before deciding on a set price. You want to be competitive but at the same time your not a professional, so charging professional rates may not be the best thing to do. I would keep the pricing on the low side until you make a name for yourself or as you learn more about web design/development. As it takes a decent amount of time to "build" a website.

Your logo, a picture of yourself, maybe a famous landmark in your area. Something that people can associate you to your business would be great. Don't think there is much you can do about the loading times with that template. You might be able to disable a few things, but that would all be under the template controls.

Hi Mike,

Please go to your "about me" page and change "scowering" to "scouring"

Or turn on your spellcheck?

The site looks fine except the few validation issues. Using some validation tools could remedy those issues. The few tools that could be the most beneficial in my opinion are these.

The MarkUp Validator - Also known as the HTML validator, it helps check Web documents in formats like HTML and XHTML, SVG or MathML.
    The Link Checker - It checks anchors (hyperlinks) in a HTML/XHTML document or full Web sites and is useful to find broken links.
    The CSS Validator - It validates CSS stylesheets or documents that use CSS stylesheets.

Also note that many websites are also becoming more compatible for mobile devices because of their popularity. If one does not care if one on a phone can view your site, then you should not be concerned with the layout.

It may also be helpful to use https://browsershots.org/ to see how your webpages look when viewed with other browsers.

The site does look nice even from a WYSIWYG web based editor.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57