Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone/tablet OS that won't intrude

Phone/tablet OS that won't intrude

Hi all!

I know very little of Cyber Security, hence have no idea how easy or difficult my question is.
    My friends presented me a teblet with Android OS. What enraged me was the fact that I had to register with Google to even use a calendar!! Let alone listen to the music. For each application download I have to log in to Google.
    My understanding is that "they" collect information on you anyway, but hey, what Google does is a bit over the top. That all fell on the fertile ground of what the likes of Assange and Bill Binney are saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuET0kpHoyM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VMExwGhsU

So, I'm looking for a new phone, that won't have Android with its intrusion. But - what about other OSs? Perhaps they're just as restrictive? Thanks for the advice.

P.S. I've been thinking of using Tor, but I don't understand how they can build applications for anonymity on top of Android. Isn't it absurd?

Google will require you to log in regardless what you use to connect to them. Phone and or computers would be the same.

But do I have to connect to Google? If I use a different OS I don't have to log in to Google to use a calendar or download an application, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Google will require you to log in regardless what you use to connect to them. Phone and or computers would be the same.

If you want to use YOUR calendar and not my calendar or anyone elses - you have to log into Your account.

You must be missing my point, Steve.
    I'm not talking about a Google calendar. What I want is a calendar or a music player that would work just like on a simple computer. You download it (often without registering anywhere) and use it.
    On my tablet or phone I want to have applications that won't make me log in to third-party websites, Google included.

My Android smartphone came with a Calendar already installed. If your tablet didn't, you should be able to find one through the PlayStore.

If you pick an Android tablet, you have to deal with Google. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you pick an Apple tablet, you have to deal with Apple. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you pick a Windows tablet, you will have to deal with Microsoft. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you pick a Kindle tablet, you will have to deal with Amazon. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you find a worthwhile tablet that doesn't have an OS made by one of these four companies, please let me know. It is the price you pay for the "convenience".

Loosely related:

facebook.jpg
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Westin, that's exactly what I'm talking about. However (I'm actually looking for a phone now, but I guess they use same OSs) - how intrusive are other OSs?
    Will a Windows OS, for example (I'm thinking of an HTC), require me to have an account with them, download apps only through this account and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    If you pick an Android tablet, you have to deal with Google. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you pick an Apple tablet, you have to deal with Apple. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you pick a Windows tablet, you will have to deal with Microsoft. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you pick a Kindle tablet, you will have to deal with Amazon. Yes, they will collect your information.

If you find a worthwhile tablet that doesn't have an OS made by one of these four companies, please let me know. It is the price you pay for the "convenience".

Loosely related:

facebook.jpg

Unfortunately, I think they all require that you have an account. How else are they going to track your interests so that they can better advertise to you? I don't know that you are going to have much luck finding a smart phone that isn't just a little bit evil.

Windows requires that you have an account before you can download apps, etc. [At least that is the way I understand it.]
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Thank you for replies. It would be great to know for sure if all OS are more or less the same as far as collecting data goes.
    Can this post be moved/duplicated to OS forum section please?