Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple geniuses couldn't help me, you guys are my last resort!

Apple geniuses couldn't help me, you guys are my last resort!

Problem: My actions (mainly just web browsing) online seem to be causing high amounts of internet data usage, on everything I use!

Story: Internet provider starts charging me overages for going over my monthly data limit. I find that out of 4 other people using our WiFi network my MacBook and I are the root cause. ( up to 1gb of data every hour w/o downloading a single thing is what I'm producing)

I decide to erase my hard drive and start fresh hoping the problem does not occur. But it continues so I take it Apple and using their Wifi network the problem does not seem to occur.

Stop using my MacBook altogether and begin to use brothers iPad (for web browsing, twitter, Hotmail, gmail)
    Data usage spikes up again this time from the iPad.

I'm currently using a desktop PC with Microsoft and today it started to spike. I'm not sure what's haunting my online presence but everything I touch on my network seems to start spiking, mainly "packets received" when I observed the activity monitor on my Mac.

My suspicions: Trojan Horse or Virus of some sort from a pirated torrent of Office I downloaded to my Mac
    Trojan or Virus from BackTrack5 - downloaded to my Mac and Avast Scan gave me a warning on this file, as well as another file "boot.root loader" that was in my "Resources" folder.
    Any one of my online accounts is compromised in some way: twitter email accounts, maybe even my apple ID ( passwords were all changed after my visit to the Apple store)
    FlashBack Trojan from Adobe, I recently downloaded Adobe Acrobat Pro Trial recently on my Mac before this started to happen and Apple has dedicated a section to Adobe on their security page https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2472

I'm really stumped here guys... are viruses able to latch onto online accounts of mine and follow me wherever I go?

Tomorrow I plan on downloading the anti-Trojan detection software apple recommends and seeing if it detects anything. My next step is to start deleting accounts one by one starting with my Hotmail since it has the most traffic and potential of a virus coming through.

I know I just wrote novel so any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    OK.... it seems that by your own admission the issue is people using your wifi?

It is not common AFAIK for malware to download a huge amount of data - if anything they are more likely to transmit data. Some big culprits in bulk downloads are iTunes and other media content applications. Can you provide more information about the data usage; what is your ISP limit? How much are you downloading?

It may be time to change the security on your wifi also rather than obliterate your hard drive.

Im intrigued; lets sort this out for you.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Oh, and to answer your question about latching to online accounts. Not that I am aware of; and if there are it is up to the hosts to fix the issue (Google would fix such problems with gmail etc).

The only option available to you is to change your password to your online accounts using a 3rd party computer; one that you know is trustworthy.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Any p2p software running in the background?

CybertecOne

After this started to occur we changed our wpa key and made it so that only certain MAC Addresses could access the Wifi Network.

I've only observed the high data usage live on my MacBook's activity monitor (not sure how to do this on Windows), which would show "packets received" going up 100MB every 10 - 15 minutes of course bringing me to about a gig a data after about an hour. Our limit I believe is 15GB a month.

iTunes would normally be the only other app I have running next to my browser. A far as my downloading I don't download things often other than music occasionally. (if that's what your referring to)

Chaosclown No sir, every few months I'll download a torrent maybe but that's it.

Friend of Site Staff
    Netstat is a possible.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Make darn sure the torrent is disabled.

And there are a few nasties that do what you are seeing.
    Suggest
    malwarebytes free is fine
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Eseet online
    http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
    for starters.

Shay

Thanks for the links, going to try them all out today.

So how did things turn out??
    - Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    Any chance iCloud is causing the traffic spike as soon as you use any of your i devices ?

Do you know what worked for you?
    - Albert Einstein